Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: constant feeding

Default constant feeding

I am a new mom of a 1 month old and am concerned about how often he is feeding. I try to pay attention to his hunger signs(rooting,etc) instead of a schedule but it seems like everytime I finish feeding, he is ready to eat again sometimes as early as 20 minutes later. He has had appropriate weight gain and a good number of wet and soiled diapers. I've heard newborns have growth spurts around 3 weeks and 6 weeks, but this has been going on now for a few weeks. Any ideas?

Default Re: constant feeding

Hi mama, this behavior is completely normal, you feel chained together rigjt? Well it seems to be paying off from whatyou write in a healthy baby. He is signaling your body and your body is picking up the signals correctly. This stage only lasts a while and you just have to relax and know that the eventually will space feedings out longer. You're going great! Keep it up!
    Last edited by @llli*jenna562; June 25th, 2011 at 06:44 PM.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Im not too sure. but mine does this too, and he spits up a great deal as well. My dr said to try and get him to take a pacifier and not let him eat but every 3 hours, but i think that is mean, lol. and to make sure he burps good.

See my reply above. If your baby is spitting up a lot you may want to look into reflux issues. Your doctor is also dead wrong on scheduling feedings via the clock. Watch your baby not the clock. Scheduling leads to decreased supply and possibly results in baby not getting enough food.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kcb0811 View Post
    My dr said to try and get him to take a pacifier and not let him eat but every 3 hours
    very poor advice. this is detrimental to your breastfeeding relationship. trust your baby, he is telling your body to make milk and getting comfort at the same time. breastfed babies need to eat on demand and need to comfort suck.

my lo was nursing non stop for a few weeks. the moment i accepted this as normal i felt so much better. i sat in my chair and expected to stay there all day. they will trive this way and soon not need to be attached so much. it only lasts a short time and it is essential. you are both doing a great job by nursing on demand.
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; June 25th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

Great advice from Jenna, as usual. Constant feeding is totally normal for very young infants. They have tiny tummies, breastmilk digests fast, and let's face it, they aren't all that interested in the outside world yet. The best thing you can do is sit back with the tv remote or a novel and a basket of snacks, and ride out this brief time period in your baby's life. Pretty soon your baby will discover life beyond the breast- I still remember the day my first baby discovered her own thumb, at around 3 months of age. It was like she was thinking "Whoa, this thing is AMAZING! Why didn't someone tell me I had this little gizmo?" That's the first time she ever went more than an hour without nursing. Until then, patience, a baby sling, and a swing are going to be your best friends (sometimes a baby will find that being worn in a sling or rocked in a swing is an acceptable substitute for nursing.)

And in case anyone is still wondering- no schedules!!!! And we're not justsaying this because we're crunchtastic hippies or something. Even the ultra-mainstream American Academy of Pediatrics says that "the best schedules are the ones babies come up with for themselves.".
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Great input mommal! Also you're stoking my ego today. I like the crunchtastic hippie thing though
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

Kais.mom - I can relate! My son fed A LOT during his first weeks of life. That is all I did was nurse him. I read where this is your baby getting your milk supply ready for the months to come, so you want to nurse him as often as he wishes.

I had a pacifier and gave it to my son when I thought he wasn't hungry (because I just finished nursing him for what seemed to be hours). But then I read where this isn't recommended for many reasons. I was pretty desperate for sleep at that time. I did this a few times and then discovered that it would decrease my milk supply and effect the trust my baby had for me to read his feeding cues.

My son is now two months old and our nursing relationship has changed. The all day nursing is in the past and he goes for longer periods of time away from the breast. I got so used to nursing all the time when he started to wait longer before nursing again I thought something might be wrong! But alas, nothing was wrong, he was just altering his feeding patterns.

Good luck! You can do it! What an amazing gift you are giving to your baby.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    very poor advice. this is detrimental to your breastfeeding relationship. trust your baby, he is telling your body to make milk and getting comfort at the same time. breastfed babies need to eat on demand and need to comfort suck.

my lo was nursing non stop for a few weeks. the moment i accepted this as normal i felt so much better. i sat in my chair and expected to stay there all day. they will trive this way and soon not need to be attached so much. it only lasts a short time and it is essential. you are both doing a great job by nursing on demand.
    And when this happens, they decided it's time for a change!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

now my lo goes for a few hours without eating and i feel so awkward and don't know what to do with myself... just like you bumble bee