Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My Pump Is Hissing...Ideas?

Default My Pump Is Hissing...Ideas?

Hi Ladies,

It's been taking me an hour to get 2 letdowns, which is ridiculous. The suction doesn't seem to be going on my pump, but I hear a hissing now when I'm using it. I have the Medela Pump In Style Advanced. I bought it when I was expecting DD1 in 2009 and used it for 3 months (I rented another from the hospital for the rest of the time because this one was causing pain)...now I'm using it for DD2 and have encountered this issue.

Medela Customer Service is closed. Anyone else ever have a hissing issue? If so, any ideas on how to deal with it? Do I need a new pump?

Thank you,

Jen

Default Re: My Pump Is Hissing...Ideas?

Check the membranes to see if they are torn or they may just need replacing as they get old and stretched
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

The membranes are brand new. I wish that was what it was. I'm bringing my pump to the hospital tomorrow to have it checked out. I may rent a Symphony pump. This is a bummer...

Hello,

I had the same problem. The hissing sound would happen after I turned off the pump....and it happened a few tmes while pumping. I called Medela and they sent me a new one. Not sure if you have that option since it's been over a year since you purchased it. You might want to try and have them send you new tubing. Or purchase from amazon.

I also read on these forums once to take all the pieces of the pump parts apart and make sure completely dry.

Oh, the Medela rep also suggested to run the pump longer after the pumping session (with just the tubes attached) to get the moisture out. And to hang the tubing vertically overnight to ensure it's super dry.

Hth.

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

I would check all of the connections. Make sure your faceplate is on tight, check to make sure all of your hoses are tight and then make sure that your membranes are in right and that the valve section is properly jammed (for lack of a better term) into the nipple shield. I had an older PIS pump when I pumped and it did occasionally make a hiss, but still pumped quite well.
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

Mine hissed from the strangest place. If you are looking at the faceplate it looks like a "face" right? with a nose that has the thingumy you can use to close off one side to pump onesided? Well that nose hissed. If I put my thumb on it the hissing stopped and it did help production somewhat but it didn't hurt much anyway...

Do you use your "let down button" to get that second let down? (If you press the cycle button as the milk starts slowing down it imitates the "give-me-milk suck" and can stimulate the second let down more quickly)
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Mine hissed from the strangest place. If you are looking at the faceplate it looks like a "face" right? with a nose that has the thingumy you can use to close off one side to pump onesided? Well that nose hissed. If I put my thumb on it the hissing stopped and it did help production somewhat but it didn't hurt much anyway...
    That's where the hissing is coming from! I should have checked more thoroughly myself, but now that you mention it, bingo! So you just held your thumb over it while pumping? I may still call Medela and see if there is anything else that can be done. I'm sure they won't help me because I've had my pump for over 2 years. Thank you for helping me pin-point this.

Do you use your "let down button" to get that second let down? (If you press the cycle button as the milk starts slowing down it imitates the "give-me-milk suck" and can stimulate the second let down more quickly)
    I do this.

Thank you all for your advice and help!

Medela has really good customer service so you may be surprised. Also, it that's where the hissing is coming from, I would play around with how tight that plug is. Sometimes it's too tight and needs to be loosened. GL.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Is your pump part of the Medelarecall?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language