Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: inappropriate comments?

Default inappropriate comments?

I've had a hard time with Layla asking to nurse in a way that I find, well uncomfortable. She is 14 months old and if she gets fussy she will pull my shirt open at the neck, reach in, grab me and scream.... Other times I have had her point at my breasts and shout "that's yum!" usually while a ton of people are around.

Any ideas on how to correct her without making her feel like Nursing in itself is wrong?

Default Re: inappropriate comments?

Hi there. Are you asking if these requests are inappropriate or do you think they are? At 14 months old she's not likely to have the ability to ask in a "polite" way. My two year old will still sometimes try to pull down my shirt when he wants to nurse. You can try telling her to ask nicely, but she may not understand fully what that means for a little while.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Have you tasted your milk? I tasted mine and it WAS YUM!!!!! She is just stating what she knows. I agree with PP that she doesn't know to censor what she says at that age. Just laugh it off for now. Breastfeeding isn't wrong.

How about teaching her other ways to cue more discreetly? Then she will have other options. For now she knows no other, or knows that's the best. My daughter just used the sign language breastm sign for the first time )) about 5 minutes ago. She's 17 mos and will put her hand down my shirt as casually as I open the refrigerator.
    You can definetly teach her limits on how to ask with consideration and respect for your feelings.
    Katharine
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    mid-August DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

The language your LO is using sounds totally appropriate... for a 14 month old. She doesn't know the difference between polite and impolite yet, right? I'd definitely focus on trying to teach her a different way to ask for milk. Pick a code word and teach it to her. If you can make a game out of it, she'll pick up on it faster.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yup, babies can be embarrassing without a doubt. When DD started shouting "boop" (which is what her big brother called nursing) and pulling my shirt down I started working with her about asking in a way I was comfortable (saying "Noos pees" - nurse please) it took a while but she uses it 90%+ of the time now.

But she is still going to embarrass you. DD misses the l out of clock and screams the word every time she sees one. Fingers does not sound like the actual word either. And DS used to sing a song about a fat cat which slurred a lot. As far as I can tell at least 50% of all kids swap the T in truck for an F. It is seriously embarrassing but you learn to live with it.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Thanks for the comments. I guess I have to think of a way to teach Layla different ways to ask to nurse. It's been strange watching her learn to speak and the interesting ways she sees our world. My other daughters are 10 and 7 and I guess I've forgotten how 'fun" communicating with an growing baby can be. My first was a mirco-preemie and I pumped for 6 months and never nursed. With my second she self weaned at 11 months so these are all new issues for me. I am increadibly happy that Layla enjoys nursing..... Its a learning experience for both of us now

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*durhamgrrl View Post
    DD misses the l out of clock and screams the word every time she sees one
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I taught ds2 to say please intead of screaming and trying to rip my shirt off. Now he says "boooo peeeeesssss" and rips my shirt off : It takes persistance in trying to teach them another way of asking for it, but will eventually catch on.
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!

Ha ha! My baby just did the stick her hand down my shirt thing today at a bar-b-q I was at with coworkers. I NIP frequently and unashamedly, but I'm not about to whip out my boob in front of that group. Not because I'm embarrassed of nursing my baby, but because I just do not want them seeing my boob. I just don't. So many reasons why I'd like to keep that out of their minds. So I told her we'd wait to do that at home, and some people laughed. We left shortly thereafter.

The funny thing is, my baby DOES know other ways of asking, more polite ways. She knows baby sign language for nursing and she actually used that FIRST. But of course, since I didn't want to nurse there, I didn't let her. So she went straight to other methods. If we had wanted to stay longer, I'd have asked to use a room inside, but as it was we were all tired and ready to go anyway, so it worked out just to leave. But I guess the point of my rambling story is that you can teach them more polite or discreet ways to ask, but if you don't want to nurse RIGHT THEN in that situation, expect them to ask other ways anyway. It's their way of problem solving, after all.
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!