Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! MY MILK IS NOT COMING IN ENOUGH...

Default Re: HELP!!! MY MILK IS NOT COMING IN ENOUGH...

tingling could be thrush. ive never had it put there is a lot of info here on it.

sometimes my nipples tingle after my lo sucks for a long time though so it may be nothing. check out the descriptions of thrush and see.

imo, i would lay off pumping if you can, it is an added stress. If you are pumping to give bottles I'm not sure why. Can you explain? I am confused as to why you are giving bottles

sore nipples would indicate to me a latch that needs some attention.

and how many diapers? not sure if I missed that too

if you are giving formula more your milk is decreasing, that may be the cause of the fussing at the breast. Again, please check out the link from before, I really think it will help.

Well I was pumping to increase my milk supply so whatever I pumped for the day I would give him at night. Nights are really hard for me because he sleeps all day and is up all night! I start out nursing but after a while he wakes up every hour seems like so I give him formula because my nipples be sore and he starts getting mad and pulling them... He has about 6 wet diapers a day. I'm confused about pumping because I heardyou are supposed to pump to get the milk flowing...

Okay, when you're pumping to increase supply, it's going to work best if you do the following:
    - Use a high quality pump with correctly sized shields. I personally suggest using a hospital grade pump, and having a consultation with a lactation consultant so that you know you have the right size of shields. (I also think that a consult with a LC, preferably an IBCLC, is vital for you because nursing shouldn't be making you so sore that you resort to bottles and formula.)
    - Pump after nursing. 3-5 times a day is a good start, but you probably want to be pumping more along the lines of 8-10 times per day. I know that means a lot of hard work, especially when you have a baby to care for. But it's the absolute best way to increase supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok, you should expect at least 6 wet diapers.

Let me share my experience. my son nursed all the time. he was always attached to me. I noticed after a few weeks we would lay down to nurse for bedtime and he was really fussy and moving and hitting a lot. I just kept him at the breast and played on my laptop. It was frustrating but it did pass.

I ask about the pumping and how much formula because I want to know if you can just stop pumping and stop the formula. I think you are giving enough formula that you CANNOT just stop it now, you need to gradually stop.

Pumping: this is not necessary in a healthy breastfeeding relationship. A baby tells a woman's body to make milk. Pumps are not natural, we really only use them when we are going to be away from our babies or if there is a problem, which I do not think you have. I only pump because I have to work. I only started pumping when my son was about 8 weeks old.

You are now using the pump instead of the baby to tell your body to make milk. We need to help you get the baby to the breast more and GRADUALLY stop the pumping.

From reading your posts it sounds like you are turning to formula instead of putting the baby to the breast. I know you are tired, you are exhausted I am sure. It is very hard to have such a little baby.

In my opinion, If you want to nurse this baby successfully you need to read the link posted previously about weaning from supplements. Try the method they describe and tell us how it is going.

Latch: you need to be working on getting a good latch everytime

do you have questions? I know all the information can be a lot.

Ok ladies, I took your advice and started just giving him the breast. I did this all day yesterday and all night until about 7 this morning I was sooo tired, he woke up every 2hrs.! I only gave him 1oz. though and noticed that he really didnt want it, he really just wanted the breast to sleep. My nipples are sooo sore so I have to work on him getting a good latch but I don't know how. He doesn't open his mouth wide enough unless I tease him a little to make him cry then I stick it in his mouth. I use lanlolin which helps a little but I just think we need help on getting a good latch. I left a message with a lc so hopefully she returns my call asap!

That's wonderful, mama! You worked hard last night. HARD. I hope the LC can help with the latch. That may make all the difference. Let us know how things go as you continue on through this process!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

great job mama!!!

i know you are tired but you are doing a great thing for you and your baby. it will get easier.

you sound so much more in tune to your baby already.

sore nipples hurt keep putting lanolin on all the time helps, i used to keep it in my pocket so it was warm and easy to spread.

while you wait for the lc keep trying for the best latch. it is very frustrating trying to get them to open their mouth wide... they shut it so fast! keep at it and take deep breaths when you get frustrated. Aim your nipple at the top of his mouth, not the middle and bring him to your breast ask quick as you can before he shuts it.

let us know...

Thanks mommies! Now about this pumping...I'm going to get my hair done Wed. and leaving him with dad so I wanted to pump something. Is this a good idea? I havent pumped since I was told I shouldn't right now... Also, daddy and grandma are upset because he always wants me!! He wants dad too but not as much as me. It's kind of discouraging because he says he cant feed him or hold him like that because he always wants to nurse then he goes to sleep. His mom keeps telling me that she could only do it for a month with his dad because she couldn't take it and that she gave him formula too. She is getting on my nerves and on top of that she is deaf so when I try and tell her that its my child and that I will continue to breastfeed regardless, she doesn't really understand. This is just added stress!!!

Honestly, if I was in your shoes I would skip the hair appointment. You can get your hair done any time. But breastfeeding is something that you should work on NOW. Not because you can't make it happen later, but because it is so much easier to get things on track in the early days/weeks.

With respectto daddy and grandma... Let daddy know that there are so many ways to bond with a baby besides feeding one. He can change the baby's diapers, rock the baby, wear the baby in a sling, bathe him- these are all important parts of baby care. Right now he needs to accept that his role is to support you and help you get nursing on track. He will get plenty of chances to feed the baby in the future! And grandma- well, she needs to shut her mouth. Her failure to meet her breastfeeding goals says nothing aout what you can or should do. Can your partner talk to her? She may take criticism better from her son than from you.

my hair is a mess!!! I will try to see if she will make a house call because you are right, I really don't want to leave him like that. We are doing good so I want to keep it like that! I have talked to his father about his mom so hopefully that will work.