Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!! MY MILK IS NOT COMING IN ENOUGH...

Default HELP!!! MY MILK IS NOT COMING IN ENOUGH...

My son is 3wks. old and from day one my milk supply has been very low. It's to the point where I give him formula after I nurse because it seems like he isn't full. I will nurse him on both breasts 2 times and he gets very upset like I have no more milk! I really want to do this but... I pump after every session but only get 1oz. on a good day. I don't know if I'm having a letdown. He latches on but I don't think he is sucking hard enough to bring my milk down. Should I have my boyfriend help me with this? I'm lost for words and ready to give up

Default Re: HELP!!! MY MILK IS NOT COMING IN ENOUGH...

Hello! Congrats on the baby.

What makes you think you do not have enough milk? Little ones need to suck A LOT to build supply in their mamas and also to be comforted. My son sucked all the time for the first 6-8 weeks. You never run out of milk, even if you don't feel "full" there is milk in there.

If he nurses and then you take him off or put him down and he fusses or seems hungry just put him back to your breast. That is the place he needs to be. Try not to stress out about your milk. The only way to know what is going in is to monitor what comes out. Count his wet and dirty diapers. If he is having enough then he is fine. You can do this. I set myself up with a laptop, snacks, books, my phone and sit in my rocking chair with my boppy and planned on being there awhile. This is just how it is in the beginning. Breastfeeding is supply and demand. But remember he needs to snuggle and be comforted, the breast is the best place for that. Think of it as natures way of keeping it simple for a new mom ...just keep the baby at the breast and it pretty much answers everything

So how much formula are you giving? You can get off it if you want...check out this site: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

keep us posted.

plus i should mention 3 wks is a typical growth spurt.. so he needs to suck even more than usual

and i would say dont pump! that just complicates it right now

i didnt feel letdowns for awhile after both my lo, some women never do

ok, and for a few weeks i felt like my boobs were never NOT in his mouth. i started to go a bit crazy. it gets better though. we just needto keep reminding each other of that
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; June 24th, 2011 at 04:09 PM.

It sometimes seems like your supply is low when your baby is going through a growth spurt. And the first 6-8 weeks are FULL of growth spurts. But the more baby nurses, the more milk you will make

Keep in mind that every time you offer formula, your body isn't getting the signal to make more milk. If your baby drinks an ounce of formula, that's an ounce that your body doesn't know to make for the next day, know what I mean? It's all about supply and demand.

Trust your body mama

How many wet diapers is your son making every 24 hours? If there are 5-6 wet diapers that means that your baby is getting enough. About 4-6 tablespoons is considered a sopping wet diaper, so if you pour that amount of water in a dry diaper and lift it you'll get a feel for what a wet diaper should feel like and adjust your counting accordingly.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I agree with the PP. I never felt a let down with my DD. Pumping can also be discouraging because even if you have a fabulous supply, you may only pump a small amount. So don't get too down about only being able to pump an ounce or less after feedings .

Thanks ladies! It's really hard to stop the formula now because I get frustrated going form breast to breast that I give up and give him a bottle... Also he doesn't suck hard enough either. He sucks the bottle very hard but my breast is when he gets lazy and sucks for 5min. then I feel his mouth flutter like he is biting down then he's sleep. I don't think I'm putting enough areola in his mouth. My nipples look weird afterwards. As for formula, I've been giving him whatever he wants to drink. sometimes it's 1oz. and sometimes it's 3. Is it true that I need to drink lots and lots of water? I'm not a water drinker but I am a heavy juice drinker. I've gotten better with water though but I guess I could drink more...

No, it is not true that you need to drink water (or milk) in order to make milk. As long as you are adequately hydrated, it doesn't matter where that hydration is coming from- juice, water, milk, whatever. Generally a mom need only drink as much as she is thirsty for in order to stay well hydrated.

I can understand your frustration with switching the baby back and forth again and again, but if you want to kick the formula that's very likely what you should be doing. This link covers weaning from formula supplements: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

Regarding your baby's lazy suckle, that can be a side-effect of getting a lot of bottles from very early on. Babies often learn that bottles give easy rewards, and they don't have to suck hard in order to get the bottle to release milk. In fact, they barely need to work at all. I suggest seeing a lactation consultant for help with your baby's latch. When you say your nipples look weird after a feeding, can you describe that a bit more thoroughly? We may be able to figure out what's going on, and help you fix it.

Since it sounds like your baby is currently not nursing all that well, pumping has to be part of your routine. A few questions for you:
    - what sort of pump are you using? (Make, model.)
    - how does pumping feel? Is it at all painful?
    - how often are you pumping in a 24 hour period?
    - how much milk are you getting in a typical pumping session? (I.e. Are you making 1 oz total in a 24 hour period, ir is it 1 oz every time you pump?)

Hang in there, mama! You can kick the formula if you will do the necessary work.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I recommend getting the formula out of your life by using that link posted by mommal. My reasoning is that introducing small amounts of formula here and there really does nothing positive, it will cause you to wean early. Each time you do it you breakdown the nursing relationship, you tell your body it should make less milk. The first weeks are hard, we all have gone through that and we are here to support you. Breastfeeding is not only the best thing for you and your baby... it is the GREATEST tool you have as a mom! I promise. I cannot imagine how I would function if I wasnt nursing. It is my answer to everything. When he cries, I give him the breast, when he needs to sleep, I give him the breast, etc. Do not give it up! You will hear moms say one bottle of formula is a slippery slope, and that is true. I don't want you to learn that lesson from personal experience, keep the baby to your breast and resist giving formula. It does not help.

Ok, Water is important but no need to stress about it. I have read that there are studies where woman drink huge amounts of water and it doesnt seem to make a difference. Basically just keep yourself hydrated. Maybe alternate water with juice or dilute the juice.

My lo would latch on and then fall asleep. You can try to keep the baby awake by changing his diaper, wiping his face with a wet cloth, burping etc. The one thing that would wake my lo up was if I put him down. So for about a week I had a marathon of nursing, putting him down, picking him up, put him to the other breast, repeat.

Working on the latch is important. These videos and links were very helpful to me:
    http://beta.breastfeedinginc.ca/cont...agename=videos

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html

I used compressions on my breasts while he nursed until I felt like we were in a groove. That really helped. There are videos about compressions in the link about (newman).

Finally, go to a LLL meeting and just sit with woman, ask them to look at your latch etc.

Let us know how it goes

I may have missed it, but did you say how many wet diapers you were getting in a 24 hour period?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I have a Avent double electric pump. It hurts if I press the pump thing down to far so I do it fast but not all the way down. I pump about 3-5 times a day and I only pump about 1-2oz in 24hrs. This past tuesday I pumped 3oz. but since that day I havent been pumping as much. I don't know if its because Im stressed out about this so I'm slowing my flow down or what but something has to give. Lastnight I tried to nurse him all night but he would latch on for a little while then start crying but he wouldnt latch off, he would just pull back and cry then stop, then do it again. I got frustrated and my nipples started hurting so I gave him a bottle... I also notice after I nurse him my nipples get this burning, tingling sensation, what is this?