Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Difficulty adjusting to other milk

Default Difficulty adjusting to other milk

Hi all,
    Just wanted to see if others have experienced similar issues after 12 months. I am pump weaning (pump at work 3 days a week) and feeding my LO some EBM and
    raw goat's milk. I chose the goat's milk because it's very similar to BM and it's from a local farmer I trust. The issue is that my LO has been drinking it for ~1 week now & is having tummy issues. Yesterday (my day off), she was struggling a lot & pooped 3X in the a.m., which isn't typical. It was also very runny. :-(
    So I guess I wanted to see what others have experienced w/ the transition to other milk. How long does it take? I usually nurse her on my days off w/o goat milk but
    my hubby thinks we might want to give her a little everyday to get her more used toit.
    Appreciate your input!

Default Re: Difficulty adjusting to other milk

When I was pump weaning my daughter I choose soy milk and had no real issues with it. Perhaps try something else and see if it's the goat's milk she is having issues with.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

If you are still nursing when you are together 3-4 times a day you don't need to replace the breastmilk with anything. Water and solid foods are plenty. That's what we did because my lo wouldn't drink milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

When I was at work I let my son Drink water out of a sippy and didn't stress that he didn't want cows milk at all. As long as you are still nursing 3-5times in a 24hour period, you don't need to replace your milk with anything. They are still getting enough from you!

Way too lazy for formula

She's doing much better now! She nurses 2X on my work days so I would like her to have some milk when we're away from each other. I did reduce the amount though.