Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: transitioning to LO's own room

Default transitioning to LO's own room

My DS is 5 months and I decided to transition him to his own room. He has been sleeping in a pack & play in my room. His room is only about 10 steps away so I am able to get to him as soon as I hear him rouse. He did lots of "checking in" in addition to his typical nursing times last night. Even though he quickly went back to sleep , it felt a little like having a newborn all over again! I know every baby is different, but I am just wondering what were your experiences? How long did it take your lo's used to the new environment? Any suggestions?

Default Re: transitioning to LO's own room

We transitioned DS when he was almost 3 months old. Co-sleeping was awesome when he was a newborn, but we all were suffering in our sleep at that point and hubby and I thought it was time. A couple weeks before his first night in his room, I would put him down for naps in his crib. Sometimes it was only 1 nap a day (he usually naps on me) but he slept in his crib on his own. We also made sure to do tummy time on his mat in his room so he would get used to the new sounds, smells, and sights. The night we started, we did our normal bedtime routine and instead of coming to bed with me, once he was asleep, I put him in his crib. For the first week or so, I would bring him into our bed after his first wake up and he would spend the rest of the night in bed with us. I think that was more for my comfort and transition than his. Then one night I decided to try to just nurse him and put him back in his crib and he was great. Now he sleeps in his crib all night until his 5:30am (or so) feeding. At that point, I do grab him and bring him in bed with me to nurse and then sleep until he gets up. Its nice to have some snuggle time with him and we love waking up together to play in bed for a bit before we start the day.

The slow introduction worked really well for sleeping in his crib. I was really reluctant to do it being a new mom, but when mom, dad, and baby arent sleeping really well anymore together, we knew it was time.

Hope that helps!
    Keegan: February 27, 2011
    6 lbs, 14 oz & 19 inches long

Brennan: November 18, 2012
    7lbs, 4oz & 20 inches long

Default Re: transitioning to LO's own room

Thanks for sharing what worked for you. He's napped in his crib since day 1, but I think waking up at night in his crib must feel different than during the day. Hopefully tonight he doesn't wake as much!