Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Here we go again

Default Here we go again

Just took my 2 week old in for her checkup and she's only gained 1 oz since her 6 day check up. She was 7 lbs 6 oz at birth, 6 lbs 15 oz at discharge, 7 lbs even at her 6 day checkup and today at 2 weeks she is only 7 lbs 1 oz. We had all kinds of issues with my last LO, (long story) but my first 2 kids we had no issues at all. So we go back next week for another weight check. The dr is the same one we had with my last LO so she knows our situation. She is not too worried yet, said that LO may have lost some more weight and just wants to see how she does this week. If she doesn't gain weight I don't think I can go through this again. She has had 3-4 poopy diapers a day and 5-6 wet diapers so I don't get it. I've been keeping good track of diapers and nursing times because I was worried we would have issues again. I don't know what to do now. We are using a nipple shield and I've been trying to wean her off of it. Sometimes she will nurse without it but most of the time she still wants it. Anyway, just very frustrated and depressed now.

Default Re: Here we go again

Any chance the issue is the scale? Has your LO always been weighed nude, using the same equipment?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Any chance the issue is the scale? Has your LO always been weighed nude, using the same equipment?
    yep same scale as last time, and nude both times.

I don't want to diminish watching the weights, but it is possible that your LO had a fuller bladder and bowel at her six day check up and had emptied them more recently at this last check up. Also, think about when she had last nursed. Unless you nursed her in the waiting room or the office before the weight check, she probably had an empty tummy. When we get all worried about a few ounces, it is important to remember how wet the diaper was or how full the tummy was. Your doctor's suggestion that she may have lost more weight after day 6 but been gaining recently also makes a lot of sense.

I'm sorry that you're having worries about going through nursing difficulties with another. I had to pump exclusively for my first, and when my second started off poorly, I spent so much time crying, it was unbelievable. (It was almost always the middle of the night when I had to pump and fill bottles and my older daughter wouldn't see me crying, but there were a lot of tears.) It took two months and a lot of sleeplessness and hard work, be he did learn to nurse successfully and is still doing great 15 months later.

I'm glad your doctor is not being alarmist at this point. The wet diapers and poops sound excellent. I think if you're keeping track of those and feeding her on demand (or offering frequently even if she doesn't demand), waiting a week to see what happens sounds wise.

It is possible that the nipple shield is causing some problems. I used one briefly with both my children, but it turns out that they don't make shields large enough for my nipples, and it inhibited my let down. I didn't know that with my first, but figured it out with the second. Even knowing that, though, there were times when I had to use it just to get him to the breast. I knew it wasn't ideal, but I thought that at least having him at the breast was better than other alternatives. Is your LO possibly more receptive to latching on without it when she's very sleepy or even sleeping (like a dream feed). I read a post some time back where a woman got her baby who was very pacifier attached to latch on in the middle of the night by slipping the pacifier out and slipping the breast in. (If you're reading this, please chime in with details if you think it might be helpful!).

I am sorry that you're having this worry over your LO, and I do wish you and her very well.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

She had not eaten right before the weigh in. I did feed her after we weighed her and we were going to weigh her again but then she filled up her diaper so we decided not to.
    I have not really tried to wean her off the shield, sometimes I try to latch her without it but I haven't really worked on it. I think we'll work on it this weekend though. At the end of a nursing she falls asleep and comes off with milk in her mouth still so I am assuming she is getting enough.
    I have not been able to do any dream feeds with her, once she's asleep I can't even get her to open her mouth to latch on.
    Hopefully we'll have some better weight gain this week!

What you just said sounds very reassuring to me. I didn't want to pressure you about the nipple shield (I hope it didn't seem that way). I just knew that it was an issue for us. I tried literal dream feeds with my son, and they really didn't work either because he wouldn't wake up enough. If I let him sleep a long stretch and then aroused him after several hours of rest, I could get him to latch on sleepily, though.

The fact that she falls asleep at the end of feedings with milk in her mouth is BEAUTIFUL in every way. Keep up the good work, runningmom.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

maybe you could make sure their scale is up to par, also try the weighing, nursing, then weighing again to see how much she gets. if she fills up her diaper in between weightings, leave it on, or else you will not get an accurate result of how much she took in. ( because whatever she puts out was there when she was weighed the first time)

i used a shield until about 2 1/2- 3 weeks, i would start a feeding, then remove it halfway though and latch back on w/o it. (same breast though) that way my lo was in the mindset of eating and latching already.

that is soooo cute she falls asleep with milk in her mouth! awwwwww

good luck, i hope it gets better for you!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

2 weeks is pretty young yet and she is gaingin just slowly. HAng in there...
    You cann't nurse too much but you can nurse to little. Some babies that aren't removing milk well might need to nurse up to 12 times in 24 hours to make more weight gain,

UPDATE
    Well I take her in today and she gained 5 oz! She is now back to birth weight and we don't have to go back in for anymore weight checks! Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support!