Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: freezing

Question freezing

i am starting to pump to get a good stash going for when i return to work. i dont plan on giving him a bottle unless its necessary. my question is can i add milk to an already frozen bottle? i pumped for the first time today for about 15 min and got an ounce and a half. im going to freeze it so tomorrow when i pump, can i just put the fresh milk in with the frozen milk? i just dont want a bunch of bottles with only 2 oz in the freezer.

Default Re: freezing

You can save milk for up to 7-8 days in the fridge. I would wait to freeze until you have as much saved as you want for each bag.

Make sure you write the day of the oldest milk for expiration purposes.

I wouldn't freeze in portions larger than 4 oz.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I read somewhere that it's okay to add fresh milk to frozen milk AS LONG AS you chill the fresh milk first. You don't want to mix body-temperature milk into the frozen milk because it could thaw it a little.

Also, as jeno said, I would not recommend freezing too large of quantities. Once you defrost it, you have to use it within 24 hours. I personally freeze 3.5 ounces at a time (whenever I am lucky to have extra milk), so that it is just one bottle to defrost and use right away. (DS is eating 3.5 ounces at a time right now.)
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

I freeze in 6 oz increments because I know it would be used within 24 hours. But for most people, that's not necessary.

Make sure you don't have a lipase problem before trying to store milk for a few days in the fridge, or before you start freezing milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I used to only freeze in 2 and 4 ounce increments.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

If you do have serious storage problems -- like not enough space -- you can store in 5-6 oz amounts, which is two bottles in one bag. If you don't have a problem with storage space or you only need a few bottles, a smaller amount is easier to freeze and thaw.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

how would i know if i had a lipase problem?

pump some, leave about an oz in the fridge....taste by dipping a finger in periodically. If it tastes the same over a period of several days you most likely don't have the lipase issue. If the milk starts to really taste off then you probably do. mine went off in a few hours but some woman it takes a few days. let us know if you think you have the issues then we can go from there.