Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: discouraged

Unhappy discouraged

i pumped with a manual pump for about 10 minutes,alternating breasts, and only got one once...is this normal? its my first time pumping. and my LO is a month old. what can i do to increase my milk supply?

Default Re: discouraged

I think that sounds pretty good mama. A manual pump for 10 min and your first time. And your lo is nursing. Keep in mind that manual pumping is not as efficient as electric but also that pumping in general is nothing compared to how a baby can remove milk. I got about a 1/2 oz using an electric pump my first time, just to give you a reference.

Pumping is no indication of supply. Does your baby have plenty of wet diapers?

Do you need to pump? If not I wouldn't. If you want to have some milk stashed just save a little in the freezer but dont stress about pumping.

oh he gets plenty! he wets plenty. im just trying to pump to start a stash for work..or for a chance for my boyfriend and i to go out for a bit.

I use a manual pump and my first time I got less than an ounce. By the time my baby was 2 months old I was able to get 5 oz from one side in 5-10 minutes with it. I think your body just has to get used to it. I actually started pumping on one side and feeding her on the other and that got things going. Now I can pump without her eating as well.

if you are going back to work i would get a double electric pump

are you going to try to pump enough for while you're away at work with a manual pump? I would really try to get a double electric pump or else you'll get discouraged - manual pumps are good if you only have to pump once in a while, but it's very unlikely that you'll be able to keep your supply up enough during the day to feed your babe if that's all you're usuing.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I bought my Medela PISA at a really good price at www.bestbuybaby.com

There is also www.nursingmothersupplies.com You have to call/email for the price, but they are usually a good 25-30% off retail.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos