Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thoughts???

Default Thoughts???

My DD is 16 weeks and today she has be concerned. I last fed her at 1:30am, is ebf and has not wanted to nurse. She has not eaten in over 12 hrs and I'm besides myself. I've offered to nurse but she cries and refuses. She absolutley refuses a bottle (that's another dilema ) so giving her one is out of the question. Her wet and poopy diapers are fine and she's so cranky. All she wants to do is sleep after 30 min of waking up. So I'm thinking....growth spurt (but without nursing???) or Thrush...but I've looked and it looks good. No white stuff, just on her tongue and it wipes off. So what are you thoughts?? I absolutley don't know why she doesn't want to eat. She's always a good eater.
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Big Brother Evan 3 years old 03/30/08 for 7 months

Constantly , at work, loves to all the time

Please excuse my typos!

Default Re: Thoughts???

Oh, that sounds so stressful! My first thought is it could be an ear infection. That can make it painful to nurse. I'd suggest having her doctor look her over just to see if something like that is going on.

You could also try laid-back nursing and see if it makes a difference -- if she is uncomfortable or in pain for some reason, maybe a very different position would help.

Whatever it is, I hope it passes quickly. Poor baby (and poor you, for that matter!). Let us know how it goes.
    Karen

~~~~
    My brilliant "babies":
    Butterfly - 13 yo - environmentalist
    NinjaBoy - 10 yo - stuntman

Ear infection never crossed my mind. My son never had it so I don't know the symptoms. Thanks! She actually finally nursed just now. Whhhewww! Still doesn't explain why she didn't want to eat. I also thought of teething, but I felt her gums and I don't see any signs of a tooth breaking. I'm stilll monitoring her to see how long before she'll eat again. I hope it doesn't happen again or I'll go bonkers, but I will also try the laid back nursing.
    Thanks again for your input....
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Please excuse my typos!

with Verity. My first thought was also illness. My kids have rarely refused to nurse except when they're sick- ear infections and tummy bugs especially!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, I'm going to continue to keep an eye on her. Since 2:30pm (her first feeding of the day) she's began eating normal again. I tried the laid back nursing 3 hrs later and I think she liked it; she was able to eat without a fuss. Why she didn't eat all day long, I still have yet to figure out. Thank you for your input and your experiences, they are very comforting knowing that there are people to talk to.
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Please excuse my typos!