Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doing BLS wrong?

Question Doing BLS wrong?

Ok - so DS is now just shy of 8 months. The introduction of foods has been slow going because of what appeared to be allergies in the Fruit/Latex category. I finally got our referral and I'm waiting on the results now!

Anyway, in the meantime, since I can't give him what we eat, I've been making him his own meals the last 2 weeks once or twice a day. By meals, I mean - fruits & veggies. I've given him one bite of meat, but we don't eat a lot of meat ourselves.

So - I feel like I must be preparing them the wrong way, because he gags himself to the point of vomiting almost every single meal, sometimes twice a meal. I posted about this about a month ago, and do realize that gagging is different than choking...but I wasn't prepared for him to do it every single meal.

I thought that the idea was they couldn't get chunks off that were too big for them to handle, but it seems that he knows exactly how to use his two front bottom teeth to get decent sized chunks off just about everything I give him. If he could manage them, I wouldn't be so concerned - but it seems like he chews them for a few minutes, then either gags or forgets about them and they are just hangin around inside his mouth.

Please - helpful tips & advice from experienced mamas. What could be going wrong??
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Default Re: Doing BLS wrong?

He could just not be ready yet. Some or even Many babies aren't ready until 8 or 9 months.

Could you try softer foods? something that mushes more easily?
    Amanda
    Formerly: baby-blue-eyes

Canadian Mum to Naomi Born 03/17/08 and has a dairy allergy we are hoping she will outgrow. Nursed for 1 year
    And Gavin Born 01/13/10. 22 months, still nursing and already determined to find every possible way of giving me a heart attack with his dare devilishness

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babylove View Post
    He could just not be ready yet. Some or even Many babies aren't ready until 8 or 9 months.

Could you try softer foods? something that mushes more easily?
    or cut things up smaller?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks - I've resorted to very mushy stuff the last day - and I give him the spoon and let him go to town. Do you have any suggestions for foods??

I was actually wondering if I may be cutting it too small - the veggie sticks and such. I think I may be making them too skinny - so in just one chomp he's getting a chunk off. Maybe if I tried making them fatter he wouldn't be able to do that??

Also - I'm worried that I don't keep trying then he'll never learn to chew...ah, which I know isn't right...

Thanks for your input ladies - I figured it would just take time...but my MIL is coming tomorrow and I really don't want to deal with her "Oh wow, he's not eating foods yet?" crap. I know this won't change overnight, but maybe I could have some strategies to fend her off with.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

"He is eating exactly as much as he needs" always worked for me. Follow it up with a "crazy weather we're having lately, huh?" and it tends to shut people up.

French fry shaped is the general rule for the size/shape for things you cut. For things like apples or pears I'd just peel it and hand it to them whole. Have you tried noodles or anything like that? My kids both LOVED pasta right around that age. And brocolli florets, strips of toast, banana (press your finger into the tip and it will split three ways into perfect BLS sized strips).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I like to think of steak fry sized when cutting into strips. It's fat enough to get a good handle on without squishing it right away, and big enough that, like you said, LO doesn't get too big a bite right away.

My DD has taken to stuffing huge chunks of things into her mouth- I think she likes to see just how much she can fit- and has gagged a couple times but lets it all just dribble out most of the time. I know it's so hard to relax when they are doing this kind of thing. I've been trying to offer different sized and shaped pieces for her to try- she's enjoying picking up the tiny pieces and practicing her pincer grip. At 8 months does your LO have a good pincer yet? You could try bite sized pieces instead of sticks.

With the spoon, you could "pre-load" it with some thick homemade soup or apple sauce or yogurt. My DD loves this. Also, you could dip sandwiches or toast into the soup to soften them up before letting him eat them- maybe that would make it easier to handle.

You'll be fine (so will LO). Just try to relax and let him lead.
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Pushing food back out doesn't mean anything is wrong. It means he's not ready to swallow. He will negotiate things on his terms. As far as suggestions, Toast bread and then cut off the crusts and hand him just the crust or let him dip the crust in yogurt or applesauce. He's old enough that you can probably put Cherrios on his plate and they will keep him busy in the morning in a highchair for about 20 minutes to a half an hour while you do the dishes or make food for yourself. Apple wedges where my favorite at this age. They were NOT messy, could be given to him anywhere and he would suck and knaw on them for at least a half an hour. Whole Pinto Beans are good. Cucumber Spears. Cut width way and then in half again. Artichoke leaves, and Cassidillas cut into strips. My son didn't actually swallow any food until he was between 8 and 9 months old. And we got started at the 6month point. It is still valuable learning in terms of exploration. They are exploring texture, and how to use their mouth on food. Beginning to learn to chew. He didn't realizes that he "tasted" stuff with his tongue until he was almost 10 months old. And he didn't actually associate solid food with hunger until he was almost 18months old. So really you are the dawn of time in terms of solids. Two months is NOT a long time for someone who only been on the planet 8months to practice eating. Relax. Make sure there is a TON of variety in what you are offering. And if certain things make him choke or puke, move on. Try something New. New foods. New shapes. New sizes. It's all just for practice anyway.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Pushing food back out doesn't mean anything is wrong. It means he's not ready to swallow. He will negotiate things on his terms. As far as suggestions, Toast bread and then cut off the crusts and hand him just the crust or let him dip the crust in yogurt or applesauce. He's old enough that you can probably put Cherrios on his plate and they will keep him busy in the morning in a highchair for about 20 minutes to a half an hour while you do the dishes or make food for yourself. Apple wedges where my favorite at this age. They were NOT messy, could be given to him anywhere and he would suck and knaw on them for at least a half an hour. Whole Pinto Beans are good. Cucumber Spears. Cut width way and then in half again. Artichoke leaves, and Cassidillas cut into strips. My son didn't actually swallow any food until he was between 8 and 9 months old. And we got started at the 6month point. It is still valuable learning in terms of exploration. They are exploring texture, and how to use their mouth on food. Beginning to learn to chew. He didn't realizes that he "tasted" stuff with his tongue until he was almost 10 months old. And he didn't actually associate solid food with hunger until he was almost 18months old. So really you are the dawn of time in terms of solids. Two months is NOT a long time for someone who only been on the planet 8months to practice eating. Relax. Make sure there is a TON of variety in what you are offering. And if certain things make him choke or puke, move on. Try something New. New foods. New shapes. New sizes. It's all just for practice anyway.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Quick update on us: DS turned 8 months old today. He seems to be doing better with things. His pincer grasp is very good now and he has no problem getting cheerios and other small things to his mouth - but he does tend to swallow them too soon and gag/vomit them back up. Last night, he got some scrambled eggs down, but then a piece got stuck and he threw up all little pieces of unchewed egg and a whole cheerio. is that normal?

And the apple wedges - no matter how I give him apples (wedges, halves or wholes) he always seems to get such huge chunks out of them...I wish he would just suck on things, but he seems so intent on biting them all with his front teeth. I think part of it is that he just sort of discovered he could bite...hopefully he'll outgrow this?

As far as variety, I'm sort of stuck right now until our allergy results come back. he had bloodwork done a week ago - he had reactions to latex, avocado and banana and the allergist told me not to give him anything else in that category until we found out more. Almost every fruit is in that category, including tomatoes, as well as wheat, rye and some veggies...

It is cute to see him show preferences - he definitely chose peppers over cucumbers. And last night he chose the eggs over his carrots and cheerios.

He also had a great time drinking some pureed carrots from the bowl. I know that purees are sort of off-limits with BLS, but I figured he was the one leading the way and he loved every second of it.

Anyway - thanks again for the suggestions. I really appreciate all your input I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon.