Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finding addtional time to pump

Default Finding addtional time to pump

I have a four month old and when I first started pumping it was while I was engorged and was able to build up about a weeks extra worth of milk in my freezer. When I returned to work for a short time that supply dwindled down to practically nothing. Now I am at home and would like to build up my stash again for when the time comes when I am ready to wean (I'd like to breastfeed for up to a year). My BFF told me that she had almost a years worth built up in her freezer (at least one a day of milk) that she gave her daughters once a day and/or when they were sick so that they were still getting those valuable nutrients even after she weaned. Not to mention i have this constant fear that if something were to happen to me where I could not BF for a few days or so that I won't have enough milk available in storage and his caretaker will have to revert to formula. Now that I am BFing full-time I find it takes an hour every 3-4 hours to feed my LO and then pump the remaining. Sometimes I can get a few more ounces in the middle of the night if he doesn't get up to eat, but forget it if he does. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Finding addtional time to pump

Some moms find it easist to pump a bit of extra in the morning, first thing, either before baby gets up for the day or about an hour after nursing for the first time to take advantage of the prolactin high from the night. Others pump after every feeding. Others pump during nap. Some pump and nurse at the same time.

I don't think it matters when or how, as long as you find a way that works for you.

Some moms get up at night. Me, I'd just pump in the morning and see how that goes.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!