Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Quitting smoking- still nursing

Default Quitting smoking- still nursing

I quit smoking when I found out I was pregnant, but I started back up again when DD was just a month old. She was EBF with no formula at all. She's 20 months and still nurses quite a bit. I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled tomorrow, so I decided to quit smoking yesterday so I don't risk getting a dry socket when my teeth are healing. My question is, does anyone know how it will affect DD? Will she go through withdrawals like I will? I smoked quite a bit, and often times right before nursing. DH thinks that she is only nursing so much because she is addicted to the nicotine. I'm not sure what to do for her sake.
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

Default Re: Quitting smoking- still nursing

Quitting is the best thing you can do for both of you. If your LO does experience any sort of nicotine withdrawal, it will be a price well worth paying for the health benefits she'll get from you quitting. Have you considered using a patch? I know that helps a lot of people.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I can't find anything that says for sure if baby experiences withdrawals, but it looks like as long as you're smoking less than a pack a day she should be okay. mama! I quit smoking many years before DD was born, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done! It was so worth it to own my life again, though. You can do this, you just have to take control of the situation...OWN it!!! You and your DD will be healthier and happier for it .

http://www.llli.org/faq/smoking.html

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/smoking.html

http://www.stop-smoking-tips.com/smo...stfeeding.html

Thanks for the advice and support! I didn't even think about the patch, so I started using it. Even though I am still sore from getting my wisdom teeth out I've still been smoking some. Instead of 20-22 a day it's only 5-7 though. YAY! I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but DD has been sleeping better since I cut back too. She use to wake up every 1-2 hours to nurse briefly at night, but she has been "only" waking up a few times the whole night!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09

I am sure it's not a coincidence. Nicotine is a stimulant, so it probably keeps your LO up at night. Keep up the good work, mama! You quit cold turkey once, you can quit again. Believe me, as a former smoker I know how miserable being tobacco-free is, at least at first. But it is so worth it. The health benefits alone...! But the financial savings are pretty awesome, too. You might want to start a cash incentive jar. Put a hundred $ in it, and every time you buy a pack, take the money out of that jar. Every time you don't, put the money into the jar, and then into a vacation fund or something when the jar fills up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I guess cutting back wasn't good enough. I ended up getting a dry socket and an infection. I should have known better than to smoke at all. I'm done now, that's my motivation to quit for good.
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09

Sorry, mama. Quitting isn't easy. Just keep at it. We'll support you every step of the way!