Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no fresh fruit before 8 months?

Default no fresh fruit before 8 months?

I read this yesterday on wholesome baby food. I thought it was weird. Thoughts?

I plan to give Trixie watermelon in a mesh feeder to gnaw on in a few weeks - she is trying SO HARD to grab my food, so when she's 6 months, I figure she can have some fruit in the mesh feeder.

Why only cooked fruit? Is it something to do with the juice? I really don't expect her to eat much of it at all, but I figured fresh fruit should be fine.

AND I can't believe that I'm actually excited to give a baby food. When Lilah started eating foods it felt like a betrayal.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: no fresh fruit before 8 months?

That's crazy talk. I've never heard that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

That's really weird. Connor has been eating cut up pears, plums, watermelon, banana, (the list goes on. . .) since he was 6 months old :shrug. He's doing great. BLS ftw :D

Why do these websites try to make things so complicated? Idk. . .it makes me wonder.
    Last edited by @llli*katia11; June 23rd, 2011 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    That's crazy talk. I've never heard that.

My understanding is that the concern with raw fruits and veggies is about bacterial contamination (such as recent e. coli concerns with sprouts in Germany). Also that some raw foods may be too hard for baby to deal with. For us, I just try to wash the food well, know the source as best I can, and I accept that there is some small risk. Personally, I think that a slice of raw pear or melon at that age is safe as long as baby is ready for solids.

Yeah, that's my thinking too. I thought it was really weird. I do like that website but think it's weird that they talk a bunch about not giving the baby foods before 6 months, but then have menus for 4-6 months? Odd.

My babysitter told me that she thought babies are ready for solids when they "stop sleeping through the night." I said - Well, I guess mine have been ready since birth.
    Tracie

Mommy to

It might also be the potential allergenicity. A lot of foods have heat labile compounds that are rendered less allergenic when heated. I have a food allergenicity chart that lists raw apples, apricots, and peaches as more allergenic than cooked (much more in the case of peaches).
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

FTR ever since we started dealing with allergies I always peel peel-able fruit (apples pears etc) and of course wash thoroughly. The pesticides on the skins can aggravate allergic reactions to other things.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Lilah won't eat fruit any other way anymore, other than peeled.

I would think that melons wouldn't be a high risk for pesticide, right, because the fruit is on the inside? I should go look up that dirty dozen list...
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Lilah won't eat fruit any other way anymore, other than peeled.

I would think that melons wouldn't be a high risk for pesticide, right, because the fruit is on the inside? I should go look up that dirty dozen list...
    Any fruit with a thick skin or rind is safER. Of course, some pesticides soak in the ground and grow into the fruit.