Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't take a bottle

Default Won't take a bottle

Hi,

my four month, 1 week old son will not take a bottle of EBM. He rarely gets bottles (I'm a SAHM and I find it easier just to nurse him...) but in the past, he would usually eat from a bottle (then want more from mom lol.)

We're talking screaming refusal. DH tried, Gramma tried, then I tried. No dice. Only wanted boobies.

It would be nice if he would accept the odd bottle here and there (it might be of interest that he does not do binkies/pacifiers, he only wants his thumb/fist!)
    Breastfeeding Mommy to Roger - born February 16th, 2011 via emergency C-section.

Default Re: Won't take a bottle

Mine is exactly the same. He wont take a bottle, pacifier or for that matter anything plastic/silicone. Not even a teething ring unless its wood. I gave up. I figure he'll go from the boob straight to a sippy cup.

It may be his age. My 4 mo old was home with DH from 6 weeks until about three weeks ago (I am a teacher) and always took his bottle of BM like a champ. This past week I have been at professional development for part of the day and he has not been happy about the bottle. I think they better understand that they miss the connection of nursing.

I'm in the same boat Ladies. My DD is 16 weeks and I go back to work in a month. She absolutley won't take a bottle. I've tried different nipples, brands, and flows. I've even tried a sippy and syringe feeding and nope, she won't have it. I've been trying to get her to take a bottle for this entire month (me and dad have tried) and no luck. I have no advice since I, too, don't know how to get my DS on one. Good Luck!
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Big Brother Evan 3 years old 03/30/08 for 7 months

Constantly , at work, loves to all the time

Please excuse my typos!

my lo wouldnt take the bottle and we had to start daycare. we had tried different nipples, daddy did it, etc. On the second day of daycare a teacher wrapped my son in a blanket, really snuggled him and placed a shirt that smelled like me on her chest. This was how he first took the bottle.

It is a compliment to your relationship though...he only wants you

DD is the same way. She is 8 months old now and still refuses. We are at the point now though that I know she is not going to starve herself and whoever is watching her can always offer solids. I am a sahm so it rarely comes up anyways. I am getting worried about the transition to a cup. My ped was really pushing the sippy cup but she just looks at it like what do you want me to do with this? I think we are going to wait a bit and just get her going on real cups.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    my lo wouldnt take the bottle and we had to start daycare. we had tried different nipples, daddy did it, etc. On the second day of daycare a teacher wrapped my son in a blanket, really snuggled him and placed a shirt that smelled like me on her chest. This was how he first took the bottle.

It is a compliment to your relationship though...he only wants you
    Have two boys that were also hooked on the booby! Mine absolutely would not take a bottle of any kind. Are you in the house or room when someone else is giving the bottle? If so get out sight and out of the house to see if that helps. Also as pp said, wrap your baby in a T-shirt or something of yours so he can smell you. Instead of trying to hold the baby still and feed the bottle, get the person feeding your LO to walk around the house and show your LO different things to take your LO's mind off of the bottle. Not sure if any of this will help but hope it does. Mine never would take a bottle of any kind so I know what you are going through. Sometimes it's nice to have someone else feed the LO. Good Luck!
    Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11

Collin born 4/27/08 by C-Section- BF for 15 months

Conner born 8/28/09 by VBAC- BF for 2 years and hopefully will wean soon!!

Also with & due 11/23/11