Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rejected...

Default Re: rejected...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    OK. But that sounds like something entirely different. If you were having latch/removal issues and always pumped and topped off, that's different. (And incredibly dedicated. I am so glad yo did this for your baby.) But a child who has been EBF up until this point is striking. And I don't want the mother of a striking child who WAS removing milk just fine and is now simply refusing the breast to feel like they MUST bottle feed to get enough in their baby. Because of you do the math and diligently feed the sleepy/sleeping child, it can be done. I have known people who have worked through LOOONG strikes and multiple strikes. And were able to get their babies to eat enough just in correlation with their sleep times.
    Yeah, I think my problem is I have all my personal experience in my brain and I don't always separate one of our problems from the other, they all just kind of blend together into what I think of when I think of how my daughter nursed the first year especially (second year has been night and day better) so thank you for clarifying. Correlating nursing with sleep times is a very good idea, and some moms I know have had success getting into the bathtub with their baby and having a relaxing environment their baby would nurse in there (didn't work for us, but that is OK). Also, some will try to nurse in a sling.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

hi!

5 hours is not that long to go without eating, since she is a better nurser now, she may be filling up.
    i would have her hold out to nurse when she is with you, since she has been doing fine up until now, just make sure she is still having good wet diaper output.

also, she may be less interested in nursing and wanting to play more, since she is getting older and noticing her environment. with a bottle its quicker output of milk and she can probably look around more.
    i sometimes hold my sons hand and talk/sing to him, let him play with my necklace. sometimes i even have to cover him up with a blanket so he will not fuss and try to look around! i used a nursing cover because i was shy, but that lasted until he was 3 weeks old, at 4 months i now have to use one for a different reason!

remember that babies will swallow when they have a bottle since the milk comes out faster, its a reflex so they wont choke. -
    i have read a lot of bottle fed babies eat more than usual because of that. i dont know that from experience, but i have read it multiple places.

o yes and my son will now go up to 9 hours at night without nursing, wake up, nurse for 2 minutes, and sleep for another two hours. so maybe your daughter is just changing up her schedule?

i would give it a week, and maybe try some alternate feeding methods? finger feeding, sippy cup, syringe, spoon? here is a link to the la leche league tab about nursing strikes - http://www.llli.org/faq/strike.html
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

i mean, dont make her hold out if you are not comfortable with that. or dont give it a week if you dont feel comfortable. i was just saying thats what I would do.the link has some really good info. not trying to be bossy, except about the link. read the link! haha jk ok im done!!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tomom View Post
    I feed the baby roughly every 3 hours because she's usually hungry around then if not before. So 7pm was 3 hrs after her last feed. She cried and fought everytime I tried to put her to the breast up until 9pm. Which was when I left and she right away took 3oz from a bottle. So what does that mean?
    I don't know for sure. How much are they putting in her bottles at daycare? Some evenings my daughter hasn't wanted to nurse when we got home - maybe her last bottle was around 4:30 and she had too much then - and she nurses a tiny bit, spits out the nipple and goes to sleep. Or fusses when I try to nurse her and goes to sleep. Sometimes she'll sleep until 9 or 10 pm when that happens. My baby does not STTN - she is pretty much latched on all night while she's sleeping, so I don't really worry about it.

Do you cosleep? That can help if you're worried about not getting enough milk in.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

She may just be changing her schedule around, babies are great that way. My little man has done something just like this a few times, but his wets have always seemed fine, and he is gaining weight like a little champ so I try not to worry too much. Now we are having all sorts of troubles nursing during the day. Seems teething is going on so he isn't napping much and gets supper mad when I try to feed him sometimes. Have you tried either the sling or just holding her and maybe wandering the house a bit? If my little guy is hungry and just cranky about it I hold him cradle style so the breast is right there and wander the house a bit and he will usually latch. On a side note he is getting up twice in the night now instead of once, seemingly to make up for all the troubles during the day.

No idea if this is helpful, I'm a bit tired, been a long day lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I don't know for sure. How much are they putting in her bottles at daycare? Some evenings my daughter hasn't wanted to nurse when we got home - maybe her last bottle was around 4:30 and she had too much then - and she nurses a tiny bit, spits out the nipple and goes to sleep. Or fusses when I try to nurse her and goes to sleep. Sometimes she'll sleep until 9 or 10 pm when that happens. My baby does not STTN - she is pretty much latched on all night while she's sleeping, so I don't really worry about it.

Do you cosleep? That can help if you're worried about not getting enough milk in.
    I believe this is truly a strike as she just screams no matter what time it is that I try to put her on the breast but she will take the bottle. She's not in daycare as I haven't returned to work yet. But my mom will be watching her so I will know for sure when her last bottle will be. My LO has started STTN and I don't feel comfortable cosleeping as I'm a tosser. So I try to latch her as much as I can which is only usually 2-3 times a day and then the rest is bottle. Even when I do latch her she doesn't always stay on very long and now my supply has decreased (I'm pumping every 2 hrs and only getting 2.5 oz) so I would need to supplement her anyway.

Thanks for your post.

I believe this is truly a strike as she just screams no matter what time it is that I try to put her on the breast but she will take the bottle. She's not in daycare as I haven't returned to work yet. But my mom will be watching her so I will know for sure when her last bottle will be. My LO has started STTN and I don't feel comfortable cosleeping as I'm a tosser. So I try to latch her as much as I can which is only usually 2-3 times a day and then the rest is bottle. Even when I do latch her she doesn't always stay on very long and now my supply has decreased (I'm pumping every 2 hrs and only getting 2.5 oz) so I would need to supplement her anyway.

Thanks for your post.
    2.5 oz every 2 hours is a very adequate output! Especially since you are also nursing her a few times. What were you getting before to make you think that's not enough?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*krystine View Post
    2.5 oz every 2 hours is a very adequate output! Especially since you are also nursing her a few times. What were you getting before to make you think that's not enough?
    I would get 4 oz if I was away and she had a bottle. It just seems very little since she's not nursing that much. Even when I do get her to nurse I can't always, rarely, get her to take both sides so really how much is she getting? I'm considering finding out how to get a baby scale to weigh her pre and post-feed. How do I go about getting that?

I would get 4 oz if I was away and she had a bottle. It just seems very little since she's not nursing that much. Even when I do get her to nurse I can't always, rarely, get her to take both sides so really how much is she getting? I'm considering finding out how to get a baby scale to weigh her pre and post-feed. How do I go about getting that?
    you may very well have been producing a bit much before. A lot of women don't get huge amounts from pumping. The baby removes milk much better.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. And 2.5 ounces every 2 hours is a good amount.

Have you taken her to the doctor to rule out things like ear infections?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months