Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foremilk/hindmik and weight gain question

Default Foremilk/hindmik and weight gain question

So my 6mo ds weighs just over 11lb, from just over 7lb at birth. I've tried heaps of things to improve weight gain, too much to detail here, and have gotten heaps of good advice already from you wonderful ladies! We are also getting some test done via our doc to rule out medical issues.

What I'm wondering at the moment is if maybe he's not getting enough hindmilk. (I don't have an oversupply and he does have green poops at the moment, but I think that's due to a virus.) I switch sides a lot when nursing - leftover from when I used switch nursing as a technique to get sleepy baby to keep nursing (it worked well then but he's not sleepy any more). So maybe 3-10 minutes on one side, switch to the other for the same, and prob back again, sometimes not, sometimes a few times back and forth. Repeat in 1-3 hours. So both sides are getting some action but maybe block feeding would help? I am on domperidone, blessed thistle etc because at one point we worried that my supply might be low - not sure that was ever the case, but staying on it all now because I don't want to cause any problems - supply seems fine now, but might block feeding lower my supply? I guess that's my main concern. And if block feeding is a long shot in terms of how it might or might not help... well, I don't want to potentially mess with my supply for a long shot, you know?

Am I grasping at straws here?

Thanks!

Default Re: Foremilk/hindmik and weight gain question

Block feeding is a technique that is useful for moms with oversupply. It's not a good technique for moms with normal supply, because it is designed to reduce supply by leaving milk sitting in the unused breast for as long as possible. The body detects that unused milk and interprets it as a sign that the milk is not needed, and therefore it's time to cut supply.

Has anyone checked your LO for reflux, or is that part of the testing you are having done? I know a mom IRL whose baby had such severe reflux that he was reluctant to nurse, and failed to gain weight. She has managed to nurse him through it- he's a year old now and finally has a nice bit of chub on him.

I would just make sure the baby gets a good amount of time on one breast then offer the other breast. If you need to switch back and forth that is fine, as long as the baby has a chance to spend a decent amount of time nursing from one breast. Seems like you are doing this though.

Bock feeding...is this when you just nurse from one breast for several sessions? I would not do that myself. I thought that was mostly associated with oversupply. Maybe others have more info there.

I think the best thing is to encourage the baby to be at the breast as often as possible.

How many diapers is the baby producing?

Thanks mamas! That's what I was thinking - since I don't have an oversupply, then block feeding is probably not a great idea. I do try to make sure he gets a good amount of time at each breast, but lose track of it - I will watch it more closely to make sure.

Diapers - about 6-7 wet cloth a day, one poopy a day. Not all of the 6-7 are drenched, but his urine is clear and doesn't smell. It's on the low side, but hasn't changed much from when he was gaining better (3-4 ounces a week, as opposed to an ounce or less a week now).

Maybe just do one breast a feeding? That is not considered block feeding. Block feeding is using the same side say 3 feedings in a row.

My cousin does this- nurses, burps, puts back on the same side. If her Lo seems to lose interest she puts her on the other side. Sometimes she takes it sometimes she doesn't.

switching back and forth during a feeding could be he is not getting enough of the fat that comes towards the end. In the beginning I used to hand express some at the end to see if it looked creamy enough lol to make sure my Lo was getting the hindmilk.

Maybe could you tell if you feel drained enough or not?? I know mine feel really different before and after a good feeding. I know I must look weird 'weighing' myself before and after !!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Actually, using one breast per feeding does count as block feeding, just a very mild form of it. It's not a great idea for a mama with normal or low supply.