Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping milk for stock and milk nutrient content

Default pumping milk for stock and milk nutrient content

Hello ladies:

I am trying to build a stock of pumped milk for the time when I go back to work, in 6 weeks. However, I have read in several articles that the milk nutrients keeps changing along time, so .......... will the milk that I'm pumping now meet the needs of my baby in 6 weeks?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: pumping milk for stock and milk nutrient content

Hmm Good question. Something that I wondered. I will be paying attention to see what the answer is.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Yes. Your milk will fit your child's needs very well, far better than formula. The composition may vary somewhat, but it's not that different overall.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks mommal, I know it will be better than formula :-) the question was more oriented to know if I would need to increase the amount (for example 6oz instead of 4oz) to fit the nutritional needs of the baby with the not so nutritive milk.

You'll have to read your baby for the answer to that question. As time goes on your LO may require larger bottles, but very well may not. Many breastfed babies continue to eat small amounts (relative to their formula-fed peers) throughout the first year. One thing to consider is that your milk isn't going to be a year off in terms of being tailored to your baby's nutritional needs, just a few weeks off. That's not a huge difference.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It won't be that far off, as Mommal said. If you store it for a year, then it could be not quite right. But even then, your frozen stash should not be your baby's primary source of nutrition.

Since I EP for my cleft baby and have a huge freezer stash (one freezer full, the fridge freezer halfway full and considering buying a second deep freeze), I rotate what's in the fridge freezer by taking out a couple bags, thawing it and mixing it about 1/3 in with 2/3 fresh in that day's bottles. That helps make sure he gets the best possible nutrition in our particular situation.

My baby is 5 months and takes 4 oz per feeding, more or less. I've never had a baby take more than that unless he was FF.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!