Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids?

Default Solids?

My almost 5 month okd had his 4 month checkup today (the dr was on vacation, so his appointment was late). She said that since he sometimes has a bottle strike during the day when I am at work I can help him get some nutrition by feeding him some food in the morning before I leave for work. She said it is my choice, but might be helpful (he has fallen down in his percentages of weight since last checkup). I wasn't planning to give him solids until 6 months. DH says we should still just wait until the day he turns 6 months like we planned, what do you think?
    He is very interested in eating and tries to steal our food and utensiles. He sits up well in his high chair.
    When we do finally introduce solids, how many times a day do we feed him? And do we increase the amount unil 1 year? We plan to wean him a little after he gets his one year molars. DH said he read that babies under 1 don't even need solids at all if they are nursing.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: Solids?

I'd be inclined to say there's nothing particularly special about the day your baby turns 6 months old. It has more to do with whether he's ready or not. If he's sitting well, no longer has his tongue thrust reflex, is developing a pincer grasp (thumb and fingers), and is interested in food, then he might be ready. You mentioned a couple of these things, so you'll really just have to let your child be your guide.

As far as how much to feed him and how to increase as time goes on, well again, you'll just have to let your child be your guide Some babies take to solids immediately and are eating 3 square meals within a week or two. Some aren't so keen, and some hardly eat any solids at all until close to 14-18 months. Babies are little individuals!

Outside of extenuating circumstances, "solids before one are just for fun" is a good thing to keep in mind. Children should be getting the vast majority of their nutrients and calories from milk during the first year. During the solids introduction phase, it's more about learning how to eat than actually getting the important stuff from food, since the important stuff will still be coming from milk
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

I read some info on BLW and it seems interesting. I will have to read more during the next few weeks (I read while I am nursing ) to see if it will work for us. DS doesn't have the pincer grip yet and I really hate to have him "grow up" so soon. I want him to be my little baby for awhile longer.

DS since 1/30/11

with the PP. Until one, just for fun. That means you start with a teaspoon or two of solid food a day, and then try to read your baby's interest. Some kids will progress quickly with solids, others won't have much interest until they are well into toddlerhood.

Any reason why you want to wean after the 1st year molars? Breastmilk continues to have nutritional, immunological, and mothering benefits long beyond the first year, and speaking as someone who has nursed two kids into their toddler years, I have to say it's a ton of fin and worth doing! Or at least something worth keeping an open mind about.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Maybe this is a bad reason, but I just feel weird nursing much past a year. Maybe it is the whole being able to talk and still nursing. Not sure the exact reason, but it just feels weird.

DS since 1/30/11

Yeah, when my first LO was tiny, nursing last a year seemed weird to me, too. But then a year came and nursing still felt very natural- maybe because at that point I was able to see how my baby was still very much a baby. No need to make decisions now, at this very early date!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"