Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My almost 4 month old will only breastfeed while she is asleep

Unhappy My almost 4 month old will only breastfeed while she is asleep

I have had a very successful breastfeeding experience until a couple of weeks ago. My daughter will be 4 months old this week. Lately, she cries and smashes her face into my breast, she'll suck 3 or 4 times and then cry over and over again. I know she's getting milk, I see it on her face.

But, when she wakes up usually about 3:30am, she will breastfeed just fine. Same thing in the morning when she is not quite awake yet, I'll sneak in a feeding and she will accept the breast just fine. If I try to feed her when she's fullly awake, she protests.

I continue to pump so that I'm staying on schedule.

Default Re: My almost 4 month old will only breastfeed while she is asleep

Are you giving her bottles as well? Do you think she might be teething? How are you feeding her the rest of the day? She's only nursing twice a day right now?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes, she does get bottles. I'm working full time, so she gets bottles at day care.

I was breastfeeding dinner, bed time, 3:30am and breakfast. 4 times.

Now, I'm basically down to only one time at the breast.

I felt her gums just last night and I feel no signs of teeth coming in.

What is your letdown like?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I work basically full time as well...

what do you do when she doesn't want to nurse? Do you give her a bottle? Do you switch her to the other side?

I'm a little worried that she might be developing a bottle preference. Are you using fast flow nipples on the bottles?
    Tracie

Mommy to

I don't feel my let down at all, ever. When I pump, the milk comes instantly. And then, I have a second let down at 13 minutes into the pumping session. I don't feel that second let down sensation either.
    I think you're right about her preferring the bottle now that you mention it. I did just recently switch her to a medium flow nipple.

Last night we had a peaceful feeding. I breastfed her as soon as we got home from day care. She had a bottle about 2 hours before, so she wasn't really really hungry.
    I guess if I wait until it's actually feeding time to breastfeed her, she gets angry because that medium flow nipple is easier for her, and now she's too hungry to work for her food.

So, I caused my own problem................... ugh

I'm glad she had a peaceful nursing.

Some people have success using Breastflow bottles to help keep nipple preference at bay. The company recommends that moms not switch up to level 2 nipples if they intend to continue breastfeeding.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Why don't you switch back to the low flow nipple?
    Tracie

Mommy to

I agree with the pp's. You might think about using a lower flow nipple on the bottle. It sounds like she's feeling frustrated with not getting the 'instant satisfaction' she gets from the bottle. Hang in there!!