Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing until 12 months?

Default Nursing until 12 months?

My baby is now seven and a half months.

Does anyone know if it is beneficial to continue nursing until he is one year? What are the benefits after six months?

I am very open to continue if it is beneficial to him.
    Working moma of 3

Proud to be nursing and since November 2010 !

Default Re: Nursing until 12 months?

It's beneficial because breast milk is more nutritious than any alternative. What makes you think that it would stop being beneficial after six months?? There are lots of reasons why continuing to bf to one is beneficial, and is recommneded by the AAP that we continue to breastfeed til at least one.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I agree with Julia. Also, if you stopped breastfeeding now, you would have to give formula until the baby is a year old because solid foods don't really fill all of their nutritional needs at this age.

Why do you think it will no longer be beneficial?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yes it is more beneficial that any of the alternatives for as long as you breastfeed. That includes up to 2, 3, 4 years or beyond. WHO recommendations are to breastfeed for at least 2 years, although many many many American doctors are horribly ignorant of the subject.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Aside from the nutritional benefits, breastfeeding is a great way to calm an upset baby or toddler! Part of me sometimes actually thinks "Oh why am I weaning my 3y/o???" when I'm faced with an uncontrollable tantrum.
    It's a good way to be close with your baby when you get home from work. It really helped us at night too - especially when my DD started teething!
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

The benefits from 6 months to a year are the same as the benefits from 0 to 6 months. After a year, as baby starts to rely more on solid foods for nutrition, the benefits start to shift a bit, but there are still plenty of them. Here is a great fact sheet about the health benefits of extended nursing for both baby AND YOU.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Breastfeeding never stops having benefits for both mom and baby. In fact, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends a minimum of 12 months of breastfeeding, while the World Health Organization recommends a minimum of 2 years.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"