Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can we talk about allergies?

Default Can we talk about allergies?

I suspect my 4 month old son has a food allergy and have gone on an elimination diet to try to figure out what is causing such horrible eczema and vinegary smelling poops with spots of blood. I have given up dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, and peanuts without much improvement over the last two weeks and then suspected strawberries and other nuts so gave those up too (I traded milk for almond milk and don't think that helped at all, but it tasted better than rice milk).

We are going to see an allergist on Friday to see if we can pinpoint what is going on, but I would like to open a discussion for breastfeeding moms to talk about their experiences with food allergies, how they suspected them, the symptoms of the LOs, whether or not you had allergy testing and the results.

Thanks.

Default Re: Can we talk about allergies?

I had suspected food allergies a few weeks ago, and I went on an elimination diet too. I cut out dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, corn, citrus and chocolate. There is corn in sooo many things, so you may want to consider experimenting with a removal of that from your diet as well.

For us, it was the dairy. I have re-introduced everything else back into my diet (phew!), and I'm just staying away from dairy products.

My DS's symptoms were runny nose, runny eyes, cough, and overly smelly explosive poop.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

There is a whole forum here dedicated to moms with babies that have food allergies, I'm sure you can find lots of great info in there.

What specifically are you wanting to find out?

I had my son tested around 4 months after elimination diets weren't helping (he had severe eczema and later GI issues). the testing at that young age isn't very accurate (especially with kids who have eczema, they tend to have a higher rate of false positives), but if the diets aren't helping you figure it out it can sometimes point you in the right direction. FTR it can take up to 6 weeks to eliminate dairy alone from your system, so I would continue with the elimination diet for the time being.

I know egg allergy is a BIG trigger for eczema.

Have you also been really careful about environmental exposure? Perfumes, smoke, cleaning products, air fresheners, detergent, soap, shampoo (yours AND babies) can all make eczema worse. It's hard to separate it out from the food allergy reactions if your kid has both.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

thanks for the link norasmommy - that is super helpful