Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else nursing a gymnast?

Thumbs up I have the same problem!

I'm sorry, but this isn't a reply as much as it is an "I second that!"

I really really want to know what ideas people have to offer up about this -- i just signed in to LLLI to ask this very question. My 12mo daughter started trying to stand at 3mos and hasn't really let up, which is a problem for me while we nurse because I have neck and back problems (run over by the front and rear tires of a truck when I was 18mo that resulted in OA of the spine and a fused neck 10 years ago) and am very uncomfortable nursing unless we're lying down.

As my daughter gets older, taller and stronger, her trying to nurse while standing is becoming more and more of an issue because, while latched on, she'll transition from lying down to standing, to sticking her butt in the air, to twisting side to side and back down to lying. She also rapidly changes breasts, sometimes pulling off quite hard. Because she is so active, her latch quality suffers quite a bit and no amount of repositioning really helps because she never gets tired of the acrobatic routine. I've tried sitting up and cuddling her, but she aggressively resists being held still and ends up moving just as much.

I just don't know what to do …*after 11 months (the first month was an I-know-why-women-give-up-on-nursing experience that, fortunately, we lived through!) of beautiful tears-of-joy-and-wonder nursing, my nipples hurt all day long and I'm worried that we'll be unable to continue on to nurse until my daughter truly wants to wean (I'm hoping we'll make it to 18 mo at the very least …*2+ years, ideally).

I don't think I mentioned that my bundle of energy has 10 teeth, 5 on top and 4 on the bottom. She got her first two (bottom) teeth when she was 4.5 months old and I've never had any problems with uncomfortable nipples until the last week (even with the acrobatics, which have been going on for at least 6 months).

Help!

Default Re: Anyone else nursing a gymnast?

So sorry to hear about your neck and back. That must be painful! You are amazing for continuing to nurse through the pain you experience! I think 12 months was about where the acrobats started for my daughter. The standing to nurse and sticking the butt in the air went on for a month or so too. My advice is to ALWAYS lay down and nurse, since it is most comfortable for you. I always did and now my daughter won't nurse unless I'm laying down. After a few months she will probably expect to only nurse that way. Hopefully the standing up to nurse won't last too long. It's a hard age because they don't understand yet that it hurts mommy and you can't just send them to time out!! Good luck mama! You're amazing!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

Default Re: Anyone else nursing a gymnast?

Thanks! I don't feel amazing … it's just what a mom does, right? I think I'll try setting boundaries, as suggested by others. We've been doing a bit of baby sign language and my daughter is able to sign "sleepy, food, kitty, all done and more" -- in addition to saying "hot, banana, mama and milk" -- so I think she may be able to get the hang of some setting-limits language since kids understand much more than they can say. I sure hope so! I want to nurse her until she wants to stop (or until she goes off to college, whichever comes first ) and I've been feeling very emotional about this whole thing. I know she wants to continue nursing and I am not ready (emotionally and philosophically) to stop nursing at this point. It's already been very helpful reading the few posts by women having the same experience! Solidarity!
    After many years of trying and IVF, I'm grateful for the one I have, but hoping for one more …

Matilda b. July 2, 2010: 8 lbs 2 oz, 21" and perfect!