Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Decision to Make

Default Hard Decision to Make

I have an embarrassing medical issue that needs treatment, I have worms. I probably got them from my love of sushi. I called the dr. got a prescription waiting for me at the pharmacy. But they told me that it might impact my supply, citing a study in which one woman's milk completely dried up. They didn't know how many women were in the study.

I'm absolutely weeping at the idea that I "might" not continue nursing . My son has many food allergies and depends on my milk as a large portion of his diet. He still nurses on demand up to 10 times a day even though he eats food well.

I don't know how to mother w/o using nursing as my main tool. I feel like I may be overreacting but I just love nursing so much. I think I will fill the prescription because I don't want worms but if my milk dries up I just don't know what I'll do.

9 yrs. w/ DH
    mother to Dylan
    11/27/2009 ~ 7 lbs. 3 oz. ~ 20 & 1/2 inches

and and

we're almost to THREE YEARS!

Default Re: Hard Decision to Make

Can you tell us the name of the medication? Perhaps someone can look it up for you in Hale's book to see if it is a risk for breastfeeding or not.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

with Buff. There could also be potential alternative treatments if it really does impact supply...
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Mebendazole, they said they looked it up in a lactation guide book.

9 yrs. w/ DH
    mother to Dylan

and and

Ok, I'm not a doctor, so take this FWIW, but I looked it up on Hale's online found at Amazon, and it says it's an L3 for breastfeeding, and it also says it may inhibit milk production. It also says an alternative to that medication is called Pyrantel, and when I looked that one up it is also an L3 for breastfeeding, but it does not say it may inhibit milk production. So perhaps ask your dr. about an alternative medication??

And an L3 means it is "moderately safe" to take while breastfeeding, with L1 being the safest, and L5 being the most dangerous.

ETA: If you want to look it up for yourself, go to this link on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Medications-Mo...67020&sr=8-1#_ and then click on the link to the left that says "search inside another edition of this book." And then you can do a search for the name of your medication. HTH!

My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

I did a quick google search and found this which freaks me out to the point of totally not wanting to take it since I am bfing and am planning on getting pregnant in the near future!

9 yrs. w/ DH
    mother to Dylan

and and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nativegirl View Post
    I did a quick google search and found this which freaks me out to the point of totally not wanting to take it since I am bfing and am planning on getting pregnant in the near future!
    Well, IMO this is one of those cases where the benefits to taking the medication and getting rid of the worms most likely outweigh the risks of taking the medication. Because who knows how they are damaging your intestines and stuff?? I would think that if you already know you are not pregnant, that once you take the meds and get rid of the worms, you would be fine to TTC?

Just wanted to add that even if you supply does dwindle, if you keep nursing it's likely to come back once the med is out of your system.

I hope you are right I'm filling the prescription tomorrow. I gotta take the chance.

9 yrs. w/ DH
    mother to Dylan

and and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nativegirl View Post
    I hope you are right I'm filling the prescription tomorrow. I gotta take the chance.
    Maybe try to cut it in its path by pumping or trying to nurse more often?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn