Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else nursing a gymnast?

Default Anyone else nursing a gymnast?

How do you get your toddler to settle down during nursing? Mady is all over the place and at times it hurst. I unlatcha nd reposition her, not that I expect her to nurse like newborn but some sort of calm sitting type postition would be a whole lot better than what we are currently going through. The thrashing about has to stop!
    Kelly

Mommy to Gabriel born 12/25/06 Breastfed 12/25/06 - 12/09 and possibly here and there still
    Madelyn born 9/24/09 delivered at home and caught by my husband

"To put the world right in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must first put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must first cultivate our personal life; we must first set our hearts right."

Default Re: Anyone else nursing a gymnast?

I know! DH says he looks like a hooked fish cause everything moves a lot except his mouth, sometimes distracting him with a toy or a book helps, soemtimes he just wants to wiggle about but when you consider how much energy theyve got it sems normal they dont wanna sit still to nurse. My Lo loves to nurse standing up btw, I lay down in the couch and he will stand up righ in front of me and demand his boob so maybe you can distract your LO with something even a nursing necklace or try to find a new position

I am!! Sometimes I feel like his goal is to nurse on his head...why, I don't know. He'll also pick his foot up and hold it to his cheek and caress it...we both bust out laughing. I start playing with him when he won't sit still. I ask him to point to my nose, mouth etc. That usually holds his attention. Singing or telling him stories also helps.
    DS was born June - 2010
    and with lots of help and support from my hubby
    Ready to pump wean!!

We have the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!! My DS is ALL OVER THE PLACE while nursing; I can't seem to get him to sit still. Even when i try to reposition him, he goes right back to moving around. Playing with him works for me too, as an above post mentions. My DH laughs when he sees what nursing looks like now as compared to just a few months ago. I don't know about you, but side-lying position is completely out for us--DS just wants to sit up, look around, then crawl over Mommy. What a difference a year makes!

DD2 is only 10.5 months, but we're fighting this too. It's actually ending our co-sleeping. She's driving us nuts!! She claws at me, arches her back and kicks DH. If she can't reach him, she puts her legs straight in the air and slams them down on the bed. There is NO SLEEP in our house. Unless you sleep with our almost 3 year old....
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

It's okay to set limits, too. You can nurse if you are still. If not, you have to get down. For a lot of lo's, getting set on the floor a few times does the trick. Or you can unlatch, ask if they are done, and if they want to nurse more, they have to be still. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a movement level you are comfortable with.
    DS 1/2006 9 lb. 2 oz. 22 in.
    DD 10/2008 8 lb, 2 oz. 20 in.

but how old doesr you LO have to be to understand said limits? my 1 yr old already knows not to bite, not to latch when his mouth is full and end up chewing the nipple, not to scratch, not to take the other boob out to play with my nipple but I think hes too small to understand not to latch and unlatch several times a minute or to stand still, anyways eventually it will be possible to set those boundaries I guess, but they do have to learn "boob manners"

Ugh. This is where I am, and have been for some time, with Bekah. Not only is she a gymnast, but she's also very particular about where my hands can be while she's nursing. If my hands are in her way she promptly moves them and grunts at me. In any case, I've found if I stroke her cheek while she's nursing she tends to stay still for a little bit- sometimes, only a few secs, but...
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

My 20 month old is very active too. I think it is very helpful/necessary to set limits, as the above lady mentioned. She learns after the first or second time I unlatch her and say you have to be still to nurse. If babies are old enough to know not to scratch, etc. they will learn what you mean. This also really tells you if they want to nurse; they'll settle down if you are consistent and mean what you say. It's ok to be the mom!
    Happily married to husband since March 1995; mother to first child (daughter) born October 2009

Yes - setting limits is not just okay but a very good thing.

When my gymnast gets to crazy I warn him that he needs to be less wiggly or mommy milk will be "all done".
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)