Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Made it a year! Now what?!

Default Made it a year! Now what?!

My little man turned one yesterday! I can't believe how fast this year went, and am so proud that I made it this far BFing I couldn't have done it with the help and support of this board, thank you all so much!

Anyway, his habits have started changing a little the last week or so and I just get overwhelmed sometimes by the "unknown!" The last few days he has nursed early in the morning, around 6 or 7, then not until 1 and then bedtime and once in the middle of the night (1 or 2 am). Today he nursed at 2:30 am and I had to leave for work at 6:30 and tried to nurse with no luck, tried once more 20 minutes later at my mom's before leaving him, and nothing...he just ate at 10:30 his breakfast and bottle. He used to be very consistent (2:30 am, 7 am, 10:30 am, 1:30 pm, 5:00 pm, and 8 pm). Now he seems to be down to 3-4 times, is that normal? And will my supply be affected? I still pump twice at work (was thinking of pump weaning when we can try cow milk, but now am afraid I'll lose my entire supply). I only pump enough for one bottle between my 2 sessions (total of 4 oz). He eats solids pretty well, and will take a sippy cup of water (sometimes with a little juice mixed in) with lunch/dinner. Maybe he's getting more solids that he doesn't want/need to nurse as much? This is hard emotionally, but I know he's becoming a big boy now! He seems to take a bottle okay with/after meals when I'm at work, so I think that hurts a little more that he doesn't want to nurse when I'm home Anyone have advice for this age?

Also, the last 3 days he's been up around 5 am...WTH??!! I hope this is just a phase too, OY!

Thanks all!
    Mom to Gabriel Christian
    Born June 21, 2010 at 4:25 pm
    8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/2 inches long

Default Re: Made it a year! Now what?!

He's growing mama I know this isn't deep advice but sometimes you just gotta go with the flow. As soon as you get comfortable with a stage, they go and switch it up on you. If you're worried about losing your supply just continue to offer the breast and pump. Hang in there and congratulations on making to a year!
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

could there be some teething pain or possible ear infection? my LO started more frequent night waking and dropping sessions significantly a few weeks ago where she otherwise seemed fine (no fever, eating solids fine, drinking water etc). It turned out she had an ear infection and it hurt to nurse. once we got her sorted with that, she picked up all her usual nursing sessions again. not saying there's something wrong with your LO but just trust your instincts
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

my LO became much less regular around that time - he's 18 months now and is still about 3-4 times a day, more if i'm home on theweekend. But i think it's pretty normal to decrease when food increases. I have a hard time when he's not interested in nursing in the morning, but I just let it go and offer when he wants. And he goes through phases with nursing - some days he's attached and other days he's not interested at all... you just have to go with the flow, i guess
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it