Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how do I ban breastfeeding for four hours before surgery?

Default how do I ban breastfeeding for four hours before surgery?

My little guy, at 8 months old, is scheduled for surgery in a week. He is accustomed to eating whenever he wants, and typically nurses every hour or so through the night. He'll probably be first on the list for surgery, which means he won't be allowed any breastmilk from 3:00 a.m. since his surgery may be at 7:00 a.m.
    What is the kindest way to say "no" to eating that morning? Help!
    Thank you!

Default Re: how do I ban breastfeeding for four hours before surgery?

http://www.kellymom.com/health/illne...y-surgery.html Link on breastfeeding when baby requires surgery. It says that you can nurse 3 hours before- still not great, but better than 4, right?

Does your baby take a pacifier? And can you have someone other than you care for him before the surgery? A lot of times babies will not ask to nurse when they know their caregiver isn't a source of milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We go through this every month with my LO. We've had ... 7, or maybe 8, dilations under anesthesia.

What I always do is wake up about an hour and a half before "cut-off time." We nurse most of that time, and if she drifts off to sleep I'll tickle her or talk to her and try to keep her nursing as long as possible. Then She goes into the carseat with a paci, and we drive (we've got about a three hour drive to our hospital. When we get there we try to keep her asleep as long as possible, and when she does wake up distract her with toys and play. It helps if someone else holds her during this time, so she doesn't get reminded of what she's missing. If she does start crying, I'll rock her with the paci, or put her in our mobi wrap.

I hope that helps you some!
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .

Thank you both for responding!
    I will follow your advice for having daddy take a more active roll in caring for him that morning. And we'll be sure to wake up well ahead of the "cut off" time in order to fill his tank. Thank you again for your advice and support. This forum is great!! Best to you and your LOs

In addition, I found that my DS was so distracted by being in the hospital that, when the required 4 hours unexpectedly turned into 8 hours, he handled it much better than I would ever have imagined. We also packed a bag of distracting and favorite items to help as needed. Good luck, to both of you!
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

When DD had surgery at 9 months I woke her up a half-hour before the cut-off time and nursed her back to sleep. Our surgery was also the first of the day so she was still asleep when we drove there, and DH held her if she was getting squirmy looking to nurse.

Good luck mama! Can I ask what it's for?
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

Thank you for the continued responses!

He doesn't like the pacifier, but if I make sure he's really full, hopefully being in the hospital will distract him.

Kaitlyn's mom - The surgery is a circumcision revision which makes me mad each time I think about it. So unfair for the little guy. As if once wasn't bad enough...

Thanks again to all the moms for support. He's my first, and like many new moms, I vacilate between being deleriously in love and completely petrified!

Shoot, Children's in DC lets you breastfeed or feed breastmilk up to two hours prior to surgery.

I've had a bunch of my babies have surgery over the years, and it seems like it's going to be a problem, but it's always worked out, even with the littlest having surgery at just 3 months of age. They are distracted by the change in routine, and it's always worked out, even when they don't use a pacifier or anything.

I did find that with older babies, it was better if Daddy carried them so they couldn't start thinking about nursing!

You may or may not want to pump. Depends on how long the procedure is.

I have had a couple wake up totally freaked out and not want to nurse right away, so don't be upset if that happens.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

April's magic - Good reminder about the pump!! Thanks!

Interesting that other hospitals allow up to 2 hrs.... hmmm...

Yep. Two hours. When I set the appointment for surgery up, the cleft team told me two hours. The anesthesia team tried to tell me four. But I called the cleft team coordinator back, and she called the anesthesia team, apparently, and told them the baby was under 6 months and thus..two hours.

I know there's stuff out there from the American College of Anesthesiologists about breastmilk and fasting. A year or more ago, I had a surgical team try to tell me I had to fast my 11 month old from midnight on That didn't go over with me, and we compromised at 4 hours.

That said, he was eating well and only nursing once at night at that point. I would have fought it more if he had been younger and nursing more at night.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!