Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help with Pumping!!!

Default Need Help with Pumping!!!

I have a 9.5 month old DD. I had a very difficult time at the beginning with latching, and as a result slow weight gain and a low milk supply. I was put on domperidone, and continue to take it, and I had to supplement with EMB and formula. I had a very difficult time getting my DD off the supplementing, and each time I tried she would start to gain slowly again. So she still takes some formula.

I plan to return to work when she is a year old and want her to have EBM to drink at the sitter. I was pumping before for her supplement, and was only getting about 1-2 ounces per pumping session, however I was pumping after she had nursed.

I have been trying to pump, and am still just getting 1-2 ounces per pumping session. I am using a Medella Pump in Style Advance double pump.

Does anyone have any advice to increase my sucess with pumping and how to get more milk at each pumping session?

Thanks!

Default Re: Need Help with Pumping!!!

Your output is better than average actually. How many times per day do you pump, I'd aim for at least 11-12 to increase supply. Here is a great link with a way to increase pumping output.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

You could consider renting a hospital grade pump and using that. Pump or nurse (nursing is BETTER for your supply, honestly) every 2 hours around the clock. Pump at least once, if not twice, between midnight and 5 AM.

All that said, I have found that when my babies are around a year of age, they don't really need milk at the sitter's. Granted, they are only there on a very PT basis, but at that point, I've usually pump weaned, had the sitter offer food and water, and we nursed together. So...I think you don't need to try to provide a lot of milk. That might help take the pressure off. Maybe try to get enough stored or have the ability to pump just 1-2 bottles a day? Toddler milk is also a bit more concentrated, so 3-4 oz per bottle is all you need.

It is often pretty common to have a supply that has leveled off significantly by the time a nursling is in the second half of their first year in that having a lot of extra to pump and store after nursing is sort of difficult.

But I am with Jenna, if you are getting 1-2 oz after a nursing..you have a good supply!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks to you both for your feedback. I know because I am nursing full time I will get less output now. Is there anything else you did while pumping other than increase sessions? Did you have any luck with breast massage and or breast compressions while pumping? Does this make a difference?

I do compressions and visulizations. That sounds , but i force myself to close my eyes and feel a let down and feel my milk going into the pump. Works for me.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

There have been studies that show breast massage and compressions are necessary to get all the milk out, which is necessary to increase supply. So, yes, do those. And I also do visualizations to help with letdown -- my letdown to a pump is incredibly slow -- and compress away. I also will distract myself after the milk starts going so I don't focus on how long it's taking, my boredom, etc, by playing with the computer, a book, whatever.

If you have an iPod, there is a podcast that supposedly increases output I think there is a link around here somewhere. I know it's on iTunes, as I saw it there (and downloaded it, but never got around to listening to it!)

But the biggest thing is to increase demand, which is to increase number of sessions and time spent pumping.

That said, many moms of babies over 6 months of age say they have quite a time trying to increase supply after EPFing for a few months. I did it for a while -- I started pumping for a friend's baby when my nursling at the time was like 8 months. I managed to get enough to provide her with several feedings a day, but it was hard work, and eventually, I couldn't keep up with what my baby needed and what her baby needed and had to quit.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It's weird, but I have never felt my milk letdown while I pump, I sometimes feel the letdown at other times, but usually not. Also I only have one letdown per pumping session and I have been pumping for as long at 20 minutes at a time. Is this normal? Will I start to have more letdowns as I get used to pumping. I'm sure I have more while nursing. Also Susan, what do you mean by compress away? From the body or pump? Thanks for your feedback and advice it's much appreciated.

Mirkka

I don't have a letdown feeling when I pump either. I do when I have a nursling -- in fact, my letdowns are quite painful then, all pins and needles and ouchy ouchy -- but I don't to a pump. I can see the milk coming out faster, but the feeling isn't there. I've been EPing for 5 months and just recently started getting a second letdown once in a great while, and I'm up to pumping just 5 times a day for about 40 minutes a time to get all the milk out (please note: NOT recommended for most EPers; I worked hard to get to that point!). So I think that's kind of normal as it's been my experience too, over the last few months of EPing and then in my years of nursing and pumping several babies.

By compression, what I mean, and what I do is firmly apply pressure with my palms to my breast, like I'm squeezing it between them. Or I wrap my hand around it. I do better with two-handed compressions though, so I tend to do something like read a book or play with my iPod for the first 20-30 minutes and then do bimanual breast compressions for the last 10-20 minutes, and I go back and forth between my breasts to get out the most milk. I rotate around the breast to get every duct and I come back, over and over, until there's just a few drops coming out, no matter what I do, and then I am done. I used to pump until there was nothing at all coming out, but I had to cut back...I filled the freezers up! So "compress away" means do your compressions!
    Susan

Good for you for working so hard for your baby! I will try the palm compressions and will keep at it. Thanks for your help!