Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: could rash be related to oald?

Question could rash be related to oald?

ok typing one handed, so please excuse the lack of punctuation/caps.
    just a little background, my dd is right at 4 weeks. she didn't eat anything for the first 26 hours, and would nurse very little for the first 4 days. we did supliment a little until 10 days, but even then she would only take 1/2 to 1 oz at best. my milk 'came in' on day 6, and she was exclusively bfing by 10 days. at two weeks she developed a severe diaper rash. she has 14+ diaper changes per day so i know she is getting more than enough to eat. her ped said she was alergic to her diapers, so we promply changed brands. after 5 days with no change, we went to cloth and cut out wipes altogether. we are now middle of week 2 with cloth and still no change in the rash. she doesn't seem uncomfortable (no screaming when wet or soiled) but could this be related to oald/over supply or getting to much foremilk?

nicole~mom to 4
    michael 12/91
    jeremy 11/96 (mine by marriage)
    alyssa 4/05
    alexandria 10/2/06

Default Re: could rash be related to oald?

I don't know if the OALD/Oversupply issue would cause this...I deal with those issues too, but I haven't noticed any rashes because of it... For an expert opinion, I'd check with a very breastfeeding knowledgeable doc or an actual LLL or LC for answers regarding that particular situation.

I do have some other info on diaper rashes though that I found on www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081400.asp there are descriptions of the different types of diaper rash and some solutions, so maybe that will help you track it down...there are even some pics of rashes so you can differentiate them a little easier.

I do know that a target like rash around the anus can be a sign of a food allergy...ie something that you're eating that baby is sensitive to, so maybe look into that if that's the kind of rash you're seeing.

There are all sorts of causes of diaper rash, so you will probably need to do a little detective work. Thrush can cause diaper rash, as can an allergy to something in your milk, or the kind of detergent you wash your diapers in. Some babies are even allergic to the diaper creams their mamas use to try to clear up the rash!

The only way I could see OALD affecting a diaper rash would be if the frequency of bms and wiping are irritating baby's skin. But, as you said, she doesn't seem to mind the rash, so that, too, seems unlikely. How many bms is dd having per day? How do they look? Are they green/runny/explosive?

she is having 15+ bms per day. They are yellow mostly, some more green, and extremely watery and explosive. Just an example, my toddle thought it would be funny to run off with the diaper I had ready for a change, while I was trying to coax her into bringing it back the littlest one had a bm. It sprayed all the way up my shirt to my shoulder ! I can't even tell you how many wet diapers she has because they always have a bm in them. Her ped has assured me that it was not thrush or caused by yeast at all, and she is not acting as if it bothers her, like my oldest did with thrush. I considered the detergent I was using, but if it were that wouldn't it irritate her all over? My hubby has extremely sensitive skin so we use a specific detergent recomended by his dermatologist. I guess I'm just at a loss, this rash is more in the front of her diaper area instead of the back and bottom like my other lo's when they got a rash.

Well, 15+ bms per day, and explosive and runny at that, is definitely not normal, and the rash is likely related. It could be OALD...do you have any other symptoms? http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Another thing to consider would be an allergy to something in your diet. The most common culprit is cow's milk/dairy products, but there are others. Here is a link to a good article on the subject: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug98p100.html . I'd also recommend you check out the allergy board on this forum. You'll meet other moms who have btdt. Keep me posted.

Hang in there,

Tiana

When my DD had a persistant rash, my ped said to use lotrimin on it. I did and it cleared right up. Before that I had tried several creams.

*gentle mod reminder...*

Only LLL leaders speak for La Leche League. LLL leaders are not medical professionals and cannot give medical advice.

Please refrain from giving medical advice on this board.

Tiana

i am definately dealing with oald/oversupply. from day 7 i was so full i could nurse on one side and then pump 2 oz after. of course that didn't help. but even last night she nursed from one side all night and when i got up this morning i thought i was going to die and had to pump 2 oz before i felt any relief, and that was from the side she'd been feeding from. with my 18 month old i had the same thing, but had to go back to work at 2 1/2 weeks so i just thought i was lucky to have plenty to store up for the sitter. now i feel like i am homebound. i end up changing my clothes as much as hers, and that is with nursing pads and sometimes even diapers in my bra. also, when i do pump so dad can feed her i get 2-3 oz that are almost clear before i see any change in color, and can pump 6+ oz from one side at a time. the good thing is formula is not an option, she makes a face like i just put a lemon in her mouth and refuses to drink it. but even after she nurses i still leak if not a full blow spray across the room. i'm at a loss, frustrated, sore and tired. I am just hoping she will grow into the flow quickly. also, i cut out all dairy as soon as the rash started just in case and don't eat anything else regularly enough to pin it to something i ate
    Last edited by lilmisstude; November 3rd, 2006 at 03:50 PM.

Is there any reason, besides allowing dad to feed her ocassionally, that you *have* to pump? The reason I ask is that even a small amount of pumping can sabatoge your efforts to get your oversupply under control. When you are feeling engorged, it is best to hand express, just a little, until you are comfortable.

It can take a while for block feeding to really show results, especially in a severe case such as yours appears to be. In the meantime, try to get some rest. A warm bath or shower with your baby would probably do both of you some good.

Hang in there,

Tiana

other then daddytime I try not to pump. Ihaven't been able to manually express anything I don't know if I am waiting til I'm to full or what, but at that point if I even touch my breast I could just scream it's so painful. I actually used it to my advantage over the weekend, I used some of the milk I had previously pumped to cut out every other feeding. I am still feeling full but not like I'm going to explode, and letdown seems to be going better DD is not screaming at me at every nursing session Now if I can get this rash under control I'd feel much better. Thanks for the support!