Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Violence while nursing

Default Violence while nursing

My daughter will be 11 months old on the 23rd and lately I have had a lot of issues with her getting "violent" while nursing. She will pinch, hit, kick, scratch, and pretty much everything else while she nurses. She doesnt bite at all though. I have tried taking her off each time she does this but it doesnt seem to be stopping her at all. She has been having a lot of issues sleeping lately and the "violence" seems to get worse when she gets tired. She also has been pinching me nonstop even while shes not nursing and has recently started to repeatedly smack herself in the head. I dont know if any of these issues are connected to each other but I really need help
    Proud mommy to Jade Abigail born 07/23/10 7 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches.
    and just in case
    at all times and every single night

Default Re: Violence while nursing

I sometimes have a similar problem (pinching, sometimes kicking and smacking), it is usually later in the afternoon, and is when she is either being hyper and wants to run around but still wants to nurse, or if she is overtired. What has helped me is to try to calm her down first, by singing a song and rocking her a bit.

Once she is a bit calmer, not getting all crazy, I try nursing then. If she won't calm down, I let her run around or whatever she's going to do, and try again in a half hour.
    HTH
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Same here. Sometimes she pinches and pulls my arm hair. I try to nurse her more often when she does it and it will taper off. If she is doing it while nursing i distract her by rubbing her arms or tickling very lightly. If she is really wound up I try rubbing and hugging before we nurse. DD is almost 18 months. I found that stopping nursing confuses and hurts her feelings. I think she is too young to understand that level of interaction. She doesn't know it hurts me ... she is just a forceful fiddler sometimes.
    being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

I remember having to hold DD down while I nursed her at times when she was that age. She would be so wiggly! If I pinned her arms and legs down for a few minutes, she'd usually fall asleep .

I would start keeping an informal journal of your observations and concerns. There are numerous possible reasons for what you describe, from totally normal to symptomatic of a health problem, but it is probably too soon to tell what the exact source is (since I recall that you said her ear infection has cleared). By keeping an informal journal, where you simply note what you noticed or were concerned by each day (and what improved or went well!) you will be better able to see if a pattern is emerging, and you will have a much clearer record of things should you decide you need to speak to a pediatrician about it at some point.

How does she feel about being wrapped in a blanket, swaddle style? I know she's much older than swaddling age, but some older babies (and even older children and adults) find that very comforting (some, however, HATE it), and if she likes it, you might try it out while nursing.
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

She hates swaddling, has hated it since she was little. I definitely will start keeping a journal on her behavior, thanks so much for that idea. I figure its all most likely normal but I cant help but worry since theres a lot of history of health problems and emotional problems on both my side of the family and her fathers side of the family
    Proud mommy to Jade Abigail born 07/23/10 7 lbs 14 oz and 21 inches.
    and just in case
    at all times and every single night