Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting solids for my LO

Default Starting solids for my LO

During my son's 4-month checkup yesterday the doctor told me it was okay to start him on solids (bananas and/or applesauce). He has been eating rice cereal mixed with his morning and evening bottle for about a month now. I noticed that my milk supply had started to dwindle when doing the two bottles, so I started giving him just the rice cereal at bedtime last week and supplementing myself with the Mothers Milk Tea and it picked up again. I'm worried now that if he's eating solids 3 times a day that my supply is going to be practically non-existent and I want to continue breastfeeding as long as possible. I work at home, so I have the luxury of breastfeeding as often as I'd like and I try to pump as soon as I'm done to have excess milk on hand, but i'm sure you all know how time consuming doing both every time can be. Should I be breastfeeding first for a certain amount of time and then giving him the rice and bananas after or is there another way I should be doing this...especially to keep my milk supply up?

Thanks for your help!!!

Default Re: Starting solids for my LO

I personally would not start solids this early. The general recommendation is to start solids at around 6 months or when baby is showing all the developmental signs of readiness. You can read those here. Is there a medical reason you are giving him a bottle with cereal?

I say this only because you said you want to nurse him as long as possible, but if I were you I'd hold off on solids for a while and stop giving him bottles with cereal unless there is a medical reason for it. The AAP recommends against putting cereal in bottles because it is a choking hazard, but aside from that it is filling your baby up with empty calories that carry very little nutrition. And it sits in baby's stomach because it is hard for them to digest it this young, which makes them think they are full and they end up skipping nursing sessions and NOT getting the valuable nutrition they need from your milk. So baby is missing out on nutrition and YOU are missing out on those signals from your baby that you need to produce more milk, this is why your supply was impacted.

I think if you stopped the bottles and replaced them with nursing sessions you'd find that you don't need the supplement to produce enough milk. Let baby nurse when he's hungry and that will get your supply to a place where it matches his needs.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Yes - you should absolutely be breastfeeding FIRST and as your child's PRIMARY source of nutrition.

here are some great resources with signs that baby may be ready to start solids:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-when.html

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    • Baby can sit up well without support.
    • Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    • Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    • Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    • Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

4 mo is still VERY young! Some babies are ready for solids at that age, but many are ready closer to 6 mo old.

Rice cereal in a bottle is considered a major no-no because it is a choking hazard.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

My doctor recommended that he was ready to start solids. He has been doing all of the above things since he was a little over 3 months old...including teething! He hasn't had the bottles in a couple days now and is eating the bananas mixed with a little rice cereal and breastmilk from a spoon. He usually gets about 2 tbsp before he's had enough...and I have been breastfeeding him for about 10-15 minutes beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmomtocnj View Post
    D I'm worried now that if he's eating solids 3 times a day that my supply is going to be practically non-existent and I want to continue breastfeeding as long as possible.
    Many docs make recommendations assuming that moms want to wean at 1 year. And many docs don't know much about breastfeeding.

If you're worried about your breastmilk supply and want to breastfeed as long as possible, then IME the best thing to do is breastfeed as much as possible, breastfeed before offering solids, and take it slow with solids.

Less nursing = less message to your body to produce milk = less supply.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

with all the previous posts. Believe it or not mama, your doctor doesn't know everything.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Many docs make recommendations assuming that moms want to wean at 1 year. And many docs don't know much about breastfeeding.

If you're worried about your breastmilk supply and want to breastfeed as long as possible, then IME the best thing to do is breastfeed as much as possible, breastfeed before offering solids, and take it slow with solids.

Less nursing = less message to your body to produce milk = less supply.
    When the assumption is that a mom is going to wean at a year, the doc is likely to push early solids to facilitate that and because that way the baby will be easy to transition to a solids-only diet at just a year old.

ETA: You might want to search this forum for threads on baby-led solids or baby-led weaning, for a look at a totally different approach to solids that works for many moms, particularly those who want to nurse for longer than a year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"