Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Transition NICU baby from bottle to exclusively breast? Help!

Default Transition NICU baby from bottle to exclusively breast? Help!

Hi all, I need your help.

My daughter was born at 32 weeks and stayed in the NICU for 5 weeks. I was able to put her to breast a few times in the NICU but she was mainly bottle fed since they had to see how much she was eating. Now that she is home I have the OK from her pedi to exclusively breastfeed.
    Here's the problem: She latches on well and eats on one side for a good time. It feels significantly softer when she is finished. I wait until she is sleeping or no longer sucking on that side, change her diaper and then start on the other side. I let her feed on that sid until she acts satisfied. When I wrap her and put her down about 5 minutes later she is rooting and crying like she is hungry again. I can't ever get her satisfied and don't want to supplement. I feel like I'll never get away from the bottle. This goes on for an hour and a half sometimes before I give in and she only takes about 10mL from the bottle before she crashes.
    What do I do to just get her exculsively breast? I know I have a good milk supply because I pump about 3-4oz and she only eats a maximum of 2.5oz from bottle.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Transition NICU baby from bottle to exclusively breast? Help!

One thing to watch for and consider is that preemies often have gastro-esophageal reflux because their digestive systems didn't have as much time to develop. There are some who, rather than spitting up, have what's called silent reflux -- where the fluid in the stomach comes up into the esophagus and then goes back down. Whether the refluxed material is acidic or not, it is very uncomfortable, and some babies will seek out nursing to help soothe their throats. Here is some more information about reflux and breastfeeding www.kelly mom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Welcome, by the way, and congratulations on your LO, and graduating from the NICU!
    Mama to Lorenzo, born 4/25/2007. NICU graduate, Gastro-Esohapgeal Reflux, Obstructive Sleep Apnea, Sensory Processing Disorder...alive and thriving thanks to breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
    Chinese Proverb

Welcome and congrats on your baby! My daughter was born at 33 weeks, I can sympathize with what you have been through. Are you positive that her rooting and fussiness is hunger? She may just have a high suck need.

Another thing I'm thinking of, from my own experience with being an exclusive pumper while my little girl was in the NICU, is you might want to pack the pump away for a bit. I had a terrible oversupply from using the pump. It made my daughter gassy and fussy and unsatisfied. It's time for your baby to dictate your supply to your breasts. If you are pumping more than she is taking, it's possible that you are increasing your supply and making things worse.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I'm on my phone, so I'll be brief...can you rent a scale and weigh before and after she breastfeeds? Is she getting any bottles at this point? Are there any reflux issues?
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

Thank you all for your replies!! I do know that most of the time her rooting and fussing is hunger, only because she is completely content with a top off of about 10-20ml from the bottle after the breast. Sometimes I think it is due to a little reflux because she won't take the bottle or a pacifier(which she will never take even when hungry).

I had no idea what reflux is exactly. But, I looked at the website you recommended and I'm positive that my baby has minor reflux. She is sometimes fussier than others and the only thing that soothes her is holding her upright with her head on my shoulder. Also, allowing her to lay on her tummy makes her feel better (of course she is monitored so I feel comfortable with this). She is a little spitty and that has decreased significantly since the pediatrician d/c'd her high calorie formula. I think the only other issue is my abundant milk supply. I was used to pumping when she was in the NICU and I also wanted to build up a supply for my return to work. I guess I will stop pumping and let her set the supply. I'm just afraid that I won't produce enough

Trust your body. It knows what to do.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn