Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: NICU baby fussy 3/4 way done with tube feeding/breast and bottle.

Default NICU baby fussy 3/4 way done with tube feeding/breast and bottle.

I'm not sure this is the right platform to ask but I thought some Moms might have experience with this first hand.

I have 2 babies in NICU. One of them always seems to be fussy. She seems to get extremely fussy when she is 3/4 the way finished with her feeding.

They give her about 50ml of breast milk/Similac Neosure. They typically mix 1 teaspoon per 130ml of breast milk.

The nurses/Drs seem to think it's reflux, and others say it's just her personality. I feel rather insulted that they think her personality is just to be fussy, I doubt she enjoys crying. I'm thinking there must be something different we can try. They elevated their crib but that's it so far... It certainly doesn't seem to help at all.

Has anyone dealt with this with their preemie that might have some different solutions other than just raising the bed that maybe I can bring up with the Neonatoligist? What about Neosure, are there any alternatives?

Default Re: NICU baby fussy 3/4 way done with tube feeding/breast and bottle.

You are a smart and insightful mother. your infants will grow and thrive because they are getting your breastmilk. The more weight they gain the quicker they will get to come home where you can offer your arms for extended periods of comfort. I read that
    premies are different than full term infants in that they do need quiet periods of non-nutritive sucking in order to stimulate the release of hormones associated with calorie absorption. Is your fussy daughter being offered a age/size appropriate pacifier?
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Mama, I am no expert on preemies, but do you mind if I ask why they have to mix the Similac Neosure into the breastmilk? Is it just to get her to gain weight faster? Have you tried eliminating the formula and just giving her breastmilk only to see how she reacts?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I know that she has a paci that they are supposed to use for non nutritive sucking, but I am not sure how much the nurses actually work with the girls on this. I know I offer their paci when I am there with them. And I have to say that it normally quiets her. But the moment it pops out she's back to fussy.

They say that the formula offers more nutrients and calories than breast milk alone. From what I understand it's something that they do with almost every preemie, well every micro preemie that is. They need the extra nutrients and calories to help them catch up to where they should be weight-wise. My girls were born at 25 + 6 weeks.
    Last edited by @llli*freemaka; June 21st, 2011 at 04:12 PM.

I have heard they can also add human milk fortifier to breastmilk to boost the calories, perhaps it's an option you could ask your doc about?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

intersection of Mommy Guilt and True Bliss

No suggestions, unfortunately. My boys were born premature and the only issues like that that I had were due to the nurses being difficult about how much time was allowed for feedings. They wanted them fed within 30 minutes TOTAL, but wouldn't give me much of a hand when it came to nursing/bottle feeding them so I had to feed them back to back. Having babies in the NICU is hard and I wish you nothing but the best of luck. It's extremely difficult and not something that I wish to relive, especially when you have issues. (((((HUGS)))))
    Lori
    Mom to daughter (8/17/07) and mom to fraternal twin sons (1/5/10)

*Mom with chronic health issues, NICU babies, reflux sufferers, multiple food allergies (mom and kids)
    *DD birthweight 5lb, 14oz, now 26lb, 4oz
    *DS1 birthweight 4lb, 6oz, now 19lb
    *DS2 birthweight 4lb, 2oz, now 18lb, 12oz

**An EXCELLENT speller, unless I have either a child on my lap or I'm using my cell phone!**

EP MOM FOR 14.5 MONTHS - NOW USING UP MY FROZEN BM SUPPLY!

hang in there... how old are the babies? How long till they are able to come home.
    I do think that some kids are just higher needs then others, I've seen it in my own kids. You guys will work it out together.
    I have no Idea about premature babies do they need to be burped more often? I know sometimes they fuss and you never do figure out whats wrong.
    Does she have other signs of reflux or allergy? This is a good page about gerd, just a diffent name.