Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sleeping through the night anymore - OK to give rice cereal?

Default Re: Not sleeping through the night anymore - OK to give rice cereal?

Another resource about giving rice cereal so baby sleeps through the night is a myth:
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/solids-sleep.html

Not what you want to hear - but 5 hour stretch of sleep is a long time for a young baby.

I find it helps to ignore things like cleaning the house and go to sleep soon after baby does. I'm not getting longer stretches of sleep, but having more time in bed seems to help.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Rice cereal does not make a baby sleep longer. This is false.

I am glad you brought this subject matter up. Putting rice cereal in a bottle to "get your baby to sleep longer" is a practice in America that needs to change. Research shows that there is no correlation between feeding a baby rice cereal and the baby sleeping longer.

In fact, what researchers are finding is that feeding an young baby, from birth to about four months, rice cereal to get them to sleep longer can cause: constipation, food allergies, and obesity! One doctor hypothesized that the act of putting rice cereal in a bottle was one of the reasons why American children struggle with obesity (this is because the receptors in the brain are learning what "full" means and when a baby is fed something their body is not ready to digest, this overrides their ability to know when they are "full"). Doctors might prescribe feeding rice cereal as a way to manage reflux, but this is only safe under a doctor's supervision.

I feel like sleep is never the same when you become a mom.

It sounds like you need to get a good nights rest. Can you pump a bottle and have someone feed your baby so you can sleep?

Count your blessings with the 5 hours! I would like to have that sleep.

Rice cereal is just empty calories anyways not to mention a choking hazard when put in a bottle.

5-6 hour sleep stretch is considered STTN. I would love it if my 5 month old slept that long!

Besides, babies are always changing sleep patterns due to teething, sickness, developmental milestones, etc.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

I am really happy that you got 8hr stretches for a month! That is great. A gift from the heavens really. But do not get used to anything the first year in terms of sleep. It changes every 4-6weeks. And will continue to. You can live on 5hour blocks of sleep. Promise. Try napping when they baby naps! you shouldn't feed a child younger than 6 months old anything but breastmilk. And even when you do, you may want to skip the rice cereal all together. No nutritonal value, Highly processed and often causes constipation.

Way too lazy for formula

We went through the exact same thing. DD went from sleeping 10-12 hour stretches (from 8 weeks on) to waking up every 2 hours at 4 months. We changed how we did things a little bit at that point. I nurse her whenever she wakes up (still do and she is almost 8 months) but now I do not turn any lights on, do not make eye contact, do not talk to her, and do not change her diaper if it is only wet. She was waking up for about 3-4 weeks and around 5 months it stopped as suddenly as it started and she now sleeps from 6pm-7am without waking up. If your baby was a sound sleeper before I imagine he will get back to it without any cereal.

I might recommend you visit the baby whisperer forum for help on sleeping through the night - not all night wakings are from hunger, could be teething, discomfort, or even habit. My husband and I use the Pick up/put down method for getting our LO back to sleep when its obvious his waking is not from hunger. Basically, you pick up your LO when they cry, and lay them back down as soon as they stop. The first time can take a long time (for us 45 minutes of picking up and putting back down), but the second and third times will get better until you can lay your baby down and they'll just go back to sleep - this has really helped me getting my LO back in the crib after a night nursing too, he doesn't even make a peep anymore, just peacefully goes back to sleep (and I do nurse in bed, I just put him back in the crib when I want some good sleep).

Gosh. I just nurse my baby when she wakes up and if she doesn't want to nurse, she doesn't. I figure she knows if she's hungry better than I do, just because some arbitrary length of time since the last nursing.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Gosh. I just nurse my baby when she wakes up and if she doesn't want to nurse, she doesn't. I figure she knows if she's hungry better than I do, just because some arbitrary length of time since the last nursing.
    and what's wrong with comfort nursing?

Shelly mentioned that sleep changes...she's dead on. All of my babies have changed things up just as soon as I got used to it
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rlkoh View Post
    I might recommend you visit the baby whisperer forum for help on sleeping through the night - not all night wakings are from hunger, could be teething, discomfort, or even habit. My husband and I use the Pick up/put down method for getting our LO back to sleep when its obvious his waking is not from hunger. Basically, you pick up your LO when they cry, and lay them back down as soon as they stop. The first time can take a long time (for us 45 minutes of picking up and putting back down), but the second and third times will get better until you can lay your baby down and they'll just go back to sleep - this has really helped me getting my LO back in the crib after a night nursing too, he doesn't even make a peep anymore, just peacefully goes back to sleep (and I do nurse in bed, I just put him back in the crib when I want some good sleep).
    I'm not questioning your method for getting your child back to sleep. I am questioning the recommendation of the baby whisperer.

http://www.kellymom.com/store/review...whisperer.html
    Last edited by @llli*mothersky; June 23rd, 2011 at 09:09 AM.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mothersky View Post
    I'm not questioning your method for getting your child back to sleep. I am questioning the recommendation of the baby whisperer.

http://www.kellymom.com/store/review...whisperer.html
    I think the baby whisperer is MEAN to mommies who are dead tired from just giving birth. It's just too much work. Not to mention she thinks feeding on demand will make your baby demanding
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it