Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sleeping through the night anymore - OK to give rice cereal?

Default Not sleeping through the night anymore - OK to give rice cereal?

My 4 month, 1 week old son slept through the night from about 2.5 months to around 3.5 months. Approximately 8 hours without waking to nurse.

Not anymore. I'm not sure how much more I can take...I try to nap during the day but it's not enough. I'm lucky if I can sleep 5 hours before he wakes me up - then he wakes me up every couple of hours after that. I feel like a zombie!

Is it OK to give a 4 month old rice cereal before bed, in order to have him be satisfied enough to sleep through the night again?

He's almost 15lbs and had his four month appt last week, he's healthy etc.
    Breastfeeding Mommy to Roger - born February 16th, 2011 via emergency C-section.

Default Re: Not sleeping through the night anymore - OK to give rice cereal?

The rice cereal isn't going to make him sleep through the night. It's really common for babies to start waking up again, they call it the 4 month sleep regression. And, in fact, sleeping 5 hours in a row is considered sleeping through the night for a baby. Sorry. My 5 month old has been doing the same thing, although I wasn't lucky enough to have her sleeping 8 hours in a row to begin with.

I'm not sure why people think rice cereal will make their baby sleep longer. Do you feel full for a long time when you eat a bunch of rice?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

nope, I don't. The PA suggested the rice cereal "maybe the milk calories aren't enough for him to not need to nurse at night anymore" or something.
    Breastfeeding Mommy to Roger - born February 16th, 2011 via emergency C-section.

with PP

A baby's sleeping patterns are going to vary. I would not give rice cereal at all. I know it is hard but it will not last forever. 5 hours is a good stretch for a little one.

We co sleep and that really helps, I dont notice the changes in his sleeping patterns as much. I always feel rested because I am only up for a min or two to get him latched on.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy36 View Post
    nope, I don't. The PA suggested the rice cereal "maybe the milk calories aren't enough for him to not need to nurse at night anymore" or something.
    this doesnt make any sense... at all.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    The rice cereal isn't going to make him sleep through the night. It's really common for babies to start waking up again, they call it the 4 month sleep regression. And, in fact, sleeping 5 hours in a row is considered sleeping through the night for a baby. Sorry. My 5 month old has been doing the same thing, although I wasn't lucky enough to have her sleeping 8 hours in a row to begin with.

I'm not sure why people think rice cereal will make their baby sleep longer. Do you feel full for a long time when you eat a bunch of rice?
    5 hours is a long stretch for a lo I agree rice cereal has nthing to do with sleep and you may end up with a Lo and atummy ache all night if they are not used to it..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

sheesh. I would DIE for five hours of sleep in a row! My LO is 18 months and doesn't go an eight hour stretch. I actually think that five hours is considered sleeping through at that age. Look at the calorie contents on rice cereal. Basically, nada. Breastmilk is much more calorie dense (not to mention the calories in rice cereal are empty calories).
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

Like other pp said, waking at night in a baby that age is biological. This ink to Dr. Sears site is a good place to read up on why babies wake and how to parent them back to sleep. http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fus...nd-stay-asleep

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

with pps, and I just want to add that your LO could "magically" start sleeping though the night again at any time. My DD went back and forth for a long time. She would have regressions where she wouldn't sleep longer than 3 hours at a stretch for weeks at a time and then one night surprise me (and my boobs) with a 7 hour stretch. We're in a horrible, long-lasting regression now, but every night I say a little prayer that tonight will be the night she remembers how wonderful sleep is. We're all in this together!
    -Hannah

SAHM-WAHM to lovely Lizzie, born at home 9/14/2010

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lizziesmom View Post
    with pps, and I just want to add that your LO could "magically" start sleeping though the night again at any time. My DD went back and forth for a long time. She would have regressions where she wouldn't sleep longer than 3 hours at a stretch for weeks at a time and then one night surprise me (and my boobs) with a 7 hour stretch. We're in a horrible, long-lasting regression now, but every night I say a little prayer that tonight will be the night she remembers how wonderful sleep is. We're all in this together!
    so true. To this day, my LO's sleeping patterns are unpredictable.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it