Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One boob makes more milk

Default One boob makes more milk

Since my LO was born, my left breast has made less milk than my right. Baby is now 7.5 months old. I know this is fairly common but I think it is getting even more pronounced. When I pump, the left side makes about 1/2 as much as the right and now it seems like she can't even get a complete meal on the left anymore. Also, she gets frustrated sometimes b/c the left seems to take longer to have a let-down. I know its b/c I favor nursing on the right since that one makes more and the left is just more awkward to hold her that way. Does anyone else have this issue and what can I do to increase supply on one side without affecting the other or should I just not worry about it?
    Thanks!

Default Re: One boob makes more milk

You can not worry about it. I tended to do that.

You can make a concious effort to use the "bad" side more. I went through phases like that, where I would start every feeding with that side, probably when baby was around 6 months old and my supply was not insanely OS any longer. And then I'd return baby to that side later.

Side laying may take the awkwardness out of the picture if you can lay down to nurse baby. Dream feeding might increase stimulation to that side and help it make more.

Pump just that side when you need to pump or feel like pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'm off balance too; my right produces less than my left. I have been trying to focus more attention to the right side, and I'm pretty much evened out now.

After nursing, could you pump just the left side to try to increase the supply on just that side? I think that would work.

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter though. I've heard that some people will only use one side and pretty much ignore the other side.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex, born 2/27/11

yep i agree! my right side is a horrible underperformer. i try to compensated but not that much, its weird holding him that way for me.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jenna562 View Post
    yep i agree! my right side is a horrible underperformer. i try to compensated but not that much, its weird holding him that way for me.
    . my left side has always produced less and it get's more pronounced as my baby gets older. He's 18 mos now and i seriously don't think my left side makes much at all.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I was that way with my first baby, and am experiencing it again with this baby. My left side makes significantly more than the right. I was able to keep things a bit better balanced by always starting a nursing session on the right side (I always fed from both breasts with #1). DS2 frequently only takes 1 breast per feeding, so keeping things in balance has been a little harder this time around. For my first pumping session this morning at work, I got 6.5oz from the left, and just under 2oz from the right, so more than 3x as much milk from the left side.

And it can switch with each baby. I produced more on the left with my first and then more on the right with my second.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

OMG I am the queen of lopsidedness ¬¬ for some reason my left breast has a faster letdown, better storing capacity and just overall produces more, when I noticed I tried using the right side more, much more and I think it mattered so much to me cause my left breast has always been a little larger and a little saggier and I did not want that to become more of an issue, I tried giving him the shunned breast at the beginning and anding of each session, if he got fussy over it id rock him while nursing but that was a benefit hed only get with the bad boob, I dont knwo if its cause I used to have nipple rings or wut but I can only afforad to use the "good boob" once or twice during the day otherwise my milk production gets out of control in there while the other boob, well the oter boob DS practically dry nurses from it all day long (I exaggerate to make a point) and at ight, both breasts get emptied out, the DS sleeps for 6 hours and guess which breast is fuller? its specially hard to keep things under control when he is nursing more cause hes sick or whatever but arghhh if Im not on top of it, it get unpleasant... so yeah its normal cause its easier to have your right hand free and if it is an issue to you there are ways to keep it under control

You're right, it's normal. And if both you and your baby favor one side, that explains its getting more pronounced. It's not a big deal unless it is for you.

My baby was a complete one-sided nurser out of necessity for two months, and he still prefers that side to this day, but he definitely gets good food and comfort from the other side, too. We always have our first feeding after his long sleep period starting on the less favored side, then switch to his favorite (we're sidelying, and he pushes me over to let me know when he's ready), and then we return to the less favored if he's interested.

During the day when he goes for longer periods without nursing, I'll try to start again with the less favored (he's willing if I have more milk in there), but if he's nursed recently, it will upset him if I try that. Basically I start on the less favored any time it's had some time to build up milk. My supply is still probably not even, but the system works well for us, and helps keep things a little more balanced. As long as he's happy nursing there, I'm delighted. (Of course, I was over the moon when he started nursing at all, and I was willing to be a one-sided nurser entirely if that's what it took to nurse!)
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

Each breast is different and unique!

Nursing while lying down helps me with this issue.