Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blog post: Breastfeeding = Breastfeeding

Default Blog post: Breastfeeding = Breastfeeding

This isn't news, as such, but a great post at the Leaky B@@b about how you're still a breastfeeding mom whether or not you make all those other parenting choices that people associate with breastfeeding. You may find it very refreshing if you're one who doesn't feel like she quite fits in with either the "crunchy" moms or the "mainstream" moms.

Recently I’ve seen conversations that almost assume that everyone that breastfeeds is on the same page regarding every parenting choice. Like we’re a club that talks, walks, dresses, eats and sleeps the same. But we’re not. The mom across the street from me breastfed her son for close to a year, pumping for him when she returned to work. Unlike me she lets her son eat prepackaged food daily, have character toys and clothing and she has him fully vaccinated. Like me, she does curbside recycling. Also like me? She loves her child more than she could begin to articulate. I admire her, she’s an awesome mom and I’ve learned a lot from her and I hope maybe she’s learned some things from me.
    Read the rest.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Blog post: Breastfeeding = Breastfeeding

Very nice.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

I really like this.

I love to see this. I almost wanted to start a "non-crunchy" commonalities thread. I was driving myself crazy at all the things I might be doing "wrong" after seeing what everyone else does on these forums. For instance I don't use cloth diapers, though I might later if I get married and have more kids and have TIME. Right now I consider it a successful day if I manage a shower

I'm glad that this is the case, because when I first came on these forums, I kind of thought that all these things were "required" to be a good mother. I wonder if other people are hesitant to breastfeed because of that image?

To go off that article, it also implies Formula = Formula. I think there's also the impression that all formula fed kids have to CIO in their own room and are in strollers all the time. But, for instance, Connor gets some formula and always ends up sleeping with me (mostly because I am too lazy to get up and grab him every time, but still. . .).

Everyone finds their own groove Take what you like and leave the rest sort of thing.

I will read closer when I have more time, but I completely feel like someone who is in the middle. I completely fit in with my mainstreem friends as far as the way I dress, the births I had, where I shop, diapers my kids wear etc., but then when I mention that DD2 is still nursing I immediately get advice on how to wean her as if obviously this couldn't be my choice, but rather some sort of bad habit that has lasted too long. Then I come here where I feel like I definitely fit in as far as attachment parenting, but often feel like I'm not measuring up or high enough on the "crunchy scale." And it's NOT because of anything anyone has said TO me or about me, but mainly because I'm observing a standard amongst women here that I never feel I can reach. I absolutely love the reminder that we are all here because we breastfeed, have breastfed or support breastfeeding, period...not because we all don't circumsise, wear cloth diapers, and go barefoot
    Last edited by @llli*jeannie.bean; March 31st, 2011 at 05:52 PM.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    not because we all don't circumsize, wear cloth diapers, and go barefoot
    And BTW, this was NOT intended to insult anyone who does any of these things, because they are all things that I get and would probably do if DH would be on board...well at least I'd go barefoot in my yard

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeannie.bean View Post
    And BTW, this was NOT intended to insult anyone who does any of these things, because they are all things that I get and would probably do if DH would be on board...well at least I'd go barefoot in my yard
    I was gonna say!

Thanks for sharing.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I am certainly more to one end of the spectrum than the other but I thought this post was wonderful too. I long ago realized I was never going to find another mom who thinks and does just what I do. I often feel very "out in the cold" here because of some of my opinions. But then I am in the majority on a lot of other things. I that despite that we can *all* support each other breastfeeding.

I particularly loved this paragraph
    I’m a lactivist but I don’t particularly love breastfeeding. True story. As a lactivist I have lots of thoughts about formula and formula companies. Shocker, right? Here’s the real shocker: I don’t think formula is poison! *gasp* Though I think there need to be better standards, higher quality ingredients and a heck of a lot better regulations, I’m never going to say formula is poison. I also don’t think a mom bottle feeds because she’s lazy or selfish even if she claims that’s why. Nope. Instead I think there are much bigger, much deeper issues involved that she may not even understand but are a result of the booby traps so prevalent in our society and I don’t want any mom that doesn’t breastfeed to feel guilty about it. Should I hand in my lactivist card now? Should I be smacked and scolded “bad lactivist!” and denounced?
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Loved it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Great article! Liked this paragraph best:

Aside from having lactating breasts, there are no real parenting style requirements to breastfeed. No card to carry that you’re in danger of losing if your baby sleeps in a crib in another room. Every woman that breastfeeds is a part of the breastfeeding mom club no matter how long she breastfed, where her baby sleeps, what she eats, how she introduces solids, where she gave birth, if she stays home or works, if she loves her stroller or has a dozen carriers, if she used a form of sleep training that involved cry-it-out or if she co-sleeps, if she vaccinates or doesn’t vaccinate, if she circumcises or is staunchly against it, if she covers when breastfeeding in public or just puts her baby to her breast, or even if she uses formula to supplement. Other moms don’t have to agree with or like her choices but it doesn’t change the fact that if they breastfeed they are all still breastfeeding moms.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog