Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problems....please help!!!

Default Re: Problems....please help!!!

Don't get discouraged and don't give up! Think about it like running a marathon. It is going to be difficult in the beginning but so rewarding in the end! Focuas on getting to the 6 week point. Things generally get easier then. Cluster feeds are normal and no indication that your not making enough. In fact, that's natures way of getting your growing child to continue to produce enough to sustain them. BY upping your supply. Latch issues are just that . You and the baby need to practice and it will get easier as his mouth gets bigger. I imagine that if you bottle fed your other children that it IS hard to just trust your body to do this. But believe us when we tell you it's exactly what your body is supposed to do and it will. For the next two weeks you should just find a good spot that your comfortable in and set up camp during the day. If you have older children in the house have them support you in this effort. To just sit/with the remote, the phone if you want it, and a huge glass of something to drink and some snacks. It's a supply and demand thing. BF babies generally need to eat every 1-3 hours. It's not about you not making enough.IT's about how small their bellies are and how well they actually absorb every drop of your milk into their developing tissue, organs and BRAIN!!! Formula takes longer to digest and doesn't absorb nearly as well. That why your LO eats so often. NOT because your not making enough. [I]f you can't get to a LLL meeting you can still call a leader on the phone and ask some question if you need help or find an IBCLC closer to you??? Generally there are LC services provided out of the hospital you delivered out of. If not, I'd go the route of finding an IBCLC. Good luck and don't doubt yourself. Your doing a GREAT thing. The BEST thing for your baby and we PROMISE it gets easier.

Smile Re: Problems....please help!!!

my sister had the same issues with her baby and it turned out that the frenulum under her togue was short and tight.So I clipped it for her (she is living in france and i have experience doing it). If while your baby is crying you notice that the tongue does not extend out as far as you might expeat it to and if the tip of the tongue is heart-shaped while crying or screming then you have a tight frenulum (under the tongue). if this is the case it is very easily rectified. if the doc. will not do it find a doc. or dentist freind. If all else fails write me i will talk you trough it . in any case if it needs to be done first buy something through your pharmacy called hurricaine. it is teething gel & over-the counter, the pharm. will probably need to special order it or you could use ice. it is also the best for teething discomfort. 20% lidocaine instead of the 4% other stuff. my sisters baby turned into a new person once she no longer had to stuggle with her togue. Short frenulums are very under rated and overlooked when it comes to nursing and speech issues. just one more thing for you to now think about but easily diagnosed or rulled out. GOOD LUCK AND HANG IN THERE!!!The fact that you continue to nurse is incredibly commendable!!!

He sticks his tongue way out all the time like a baby lizard, so that's not the problem, but thanks for thinking of that....a friend of mine had told me about a baby like that before Ben was born, so we checked right away...
    Michelle

For me what helped was changing the position. I could always tell when he wasn't comfortable because he wouldn't latch on correctly. Then I would change positions and it would be better. One way that I learned would work to get a baby's mouth open wider is to tickle his chin with your nipple. It worked for me.

Angela

I feel like he's getting a better latch now more and more, but it's a very awkward dance we do to make it happen and at times I still have to do adjusting once he's on. Still working on getting him to open up his mouth wide enough. I'm using breast shells and lanolin, and it seems to be a tad better.
    I'm glad things seem to be going better for you. It's pretty common to feel awkward in these early weeks and to have to do a lot of adjusting. Just keep working at it. Before long, you and baby both will have your "dance steps" down!

I feel like I'm always questioning every move I make, if he's hungry alot, it's my milk supply.....if he cluster nurses, then he's not getting enough and needs a bottle....if my nipple hurts, it's the latch. ..if I don't have enough milk, it's because of my breast reduction....and the list goes on and on. I feel like I'm beginning to obsess and not enjoy any of it, for the simple fact of it not being easy and things not falling into place.
    Cluster nursing is very, very common in newborns and does NOT mean the baby isn't getting enough to eat. Here is an article that can help you determine if he's getting enough:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

I'm repeating myself, but just hang in there. These early weeks can be stressful to a new mother. Most mothers find that things "settle down" after about 6 weeks or so--baby and mom have figured out nursing, baby settles into a more predictable routine, etc. The enjoyment will come, and you'll enjoy it all the more because you worked so hard to get there!

I'm thinking there's a real need for someone in our area, and starting to wonder what it takes to become qualified. I'm sure I'm not the only woman in a town of 30,000 to need this service!!!
    Here's an article that can answer your questions! http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/leader.html

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

P.S. Did you ever get a link to this site?
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

It's a non-LLL site, but Dr Newman is a respected breastfeeding expert and much of his work is referenced in LLL materials. Many mothers have found the videos of latches helpful!

Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!