Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems....please help!!!

Default Problems....please help!!!

Hi there.... I have a four week old and let me say this breastfeeding thing has been nothing but a challenge so far. After watching video clips online, I figured out that even after I had been told his latch is good, it isn't right....and hence it's been sooooo painful. So much so that my nipples feel like they're going to fall off and I've supplemented with bottles.....I know, I know....bad, very bad! Well now that I know the correct way things need to be done...I'm having problems getting him to open up his mouth wide enough so we're still struggling, and things are still very sore. I've been trying to do the cross over hold so I can see how his mouth is latching on, and I have to say I find this the most awkward of all holds. So I guess I'm looking for how to get him to open up wider and any other words of wisdom you can throw my way!!!
    Thanks,
    Michelle
    Ps....This will be my last baby, and I really want to make it work!!!

Default Re: Problems....please help!!!

My son was a tight mouthed nurser as a newborn too. What worked really well for us (aside from all the other regular tips to get them to open wide) was to push down on his chin as he was latching so that I'd almost force him to get that little mouth open!

Hi there! Sorry to hear about your struggles. Good for you for not giving up!!! I found that the side-lying position was really helpful to me when I was having trouble with my latch. Instead of trying to hold a wriggling baby with 2 hands and find a 3rd and 4th hand (Ha!) for positioning my breast correctly, I let the bed hold my DD and used my hands to really work on the latch. I would get my DD in position, let her start rooting, and then use one hand to hold my breast and squish my aureola into the best shape for shoving into her mouth, and use my other hand to move her head in for the latch. I don't know if this will work for you, but maybe it's worth a try. Good luck!

I second what caitlin just said.
    My dd never wanted to open wide for me so when she would open, I would gently pull down on her chin and shove my breast in. I had a horrible beginning, bleeding, scabbed nipples that took weeks to heal and it would send me through the roof when she latched on. After awhile though, she became a pro. It's more work for some at first but hang in there. And don't beat yourself up for using a bottle occasionally when the pain gets unbearable. You are doing the best you can and hopefully these tips will help.

Oh, and in those early weeks I found that the football hold worked best for us.

I also like the football hold. I tickled the chin and when she opened wide, I would just kind of thrust(gently) her on. Once I stopped prepping the nipple, I started to heal up. I think it caused her to have to open wider. Good luck.

I could only get DS latched for a while using the cross cradle hold. What worked for us was pillows (lots of them it seems) so that his body was at the right level.

Hi there!
    Latch issues are best solved with some in-person help. Have you tried to locate a local LLL Leader? You can click on the link in my signature to find one!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Wink Re: Problems....please help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BensMommie View Post
    Hi there.... I have a four week old and let me say this breastfeeding thing has been nothing but a challenge so far. After watching video clips online, I figured out that even after I had been told his latch is good, it isn't right....and hence it's been sooooo painful. So much so that my nipples feel like they're going to fall off and I've supplemented with bottles.....I know, I know....bad, very bad! Well now that I know the correct way things need to be done...I'm having problems getting him to open up his mouth wide enough so we're still struggling, and things are still very sore. I've been trying to do the cross over hold so I can see how his mouth is latching on, and I have to say I find this the most awkward of all holds. So I guess I'm looking for how to get him to open up wider and any other words of wisdom you can throw my way!!!
    Thanks,
    Michelle
    Ps....This will be my last baby, and I really want to make it work!!!
    I must say that it sounds like you should meet with your local LLL leader and also see a lactation consultant. They can watch the latch and suggest positions or different ways to make you more comfortable while you guys are mastering the latch. I have to pay special attention to my five week old newborn's latch as well, otherwise I end up with AWFUL pain. Four weeks was a very painful marker in time for me, too. Hang in there and FOCUS on making sure the latch is right. Watch videos and keep watching them. See a lactation consultant at LEAST once or twice. It gets better!

First off...thanks everyone for the advice...I did find a couple of websites with video and that helped alot. I feel like he's getting a better latch now more and more, but it's a very awkward dance we do to make it happen and at times I still have to do adjusting once he's on. Still working on getting him to open up his mouth wide enough. I'm using breast shells and lanolin, and it seems to be a tad better. I never knew breastfeeding was so darn frustrating....always believed you just stuck them on a breast and that's all there was to it! I feel like I'm always questioning every move I make, if he's hungry alot, it's my milk supply.....if he cluster nurses, then he's not getting enough and needs a bottle....if my nipple hurts, it's the latch. ..if I don't have enough milk, it's because of my breast reduction....and the list goes on and on. I feel like I'm beginning to obsess and not enjoy any of it, for the simple fact of it not being easy and things not falling into place. I read and research as much as possible, any tip or tidbit I can get my hands on. We don't have a local LLL consultant that I'm aware of. The closest one is about 1 1/2 hrs away and they hold meetings on the 3rd Monday of the month....which at night is too far for me to drive....I don't see well at night. I'm thinking there's a real need for someone in our area, and starting to wonder what it takes to become qualified. I'm sure I'm not the only woman in a town of 30,000 to need this service!!!
    Michelle