Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Number of Letdowns Increase With Time?

Default Number of Letdowns Increase With Time?

Hi Ladies,

I'm afraid I have another question...you would think I wouldn't have so many as this is my second time around!

This morning was my third time pumping for DD2. I've been getting around 2 ounces each morning (one pump at 4:30am). I've only had one letdown each morning. This morning, I was reading through threads on here, trying to distract myself because I tend to be a bottle-watcher and this site really helps relax me. That being said, I didn't get a letdown until 25 minutes in! I wanted to try for a second, but I had to quit at 35 minutes, because I don't want to shock my nipples too much.

I used to get 3 letdowns when I was pumping for DD1. I just can't seem to remember...will I get more letdowns as time goes on or is this something that I need to be worried about? My pump is working properly and my valves and membranes are new. I use a Pump In Style Advanced and use the letdown phase several times throughout the pumping process. I keep feeling the letdown sensation, but get no milk (except for 1 time).

As always, thank you!

Jen

Default Re: Number of Letdowns Increase With Time?

Are your shields the right size?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think so. I used the small ones (21mm) when I pumped for DD1, so I'm using them again. At the very beginning of my pumping "career", I started out using the shields that came with my pump, but discovered that they were too big after a week or two. I thought maybe I needed to start out with the 24mm ones again and then move to the 21mm ones once my nipples got used to pumping again, but I got absolutely nothing while using the 24mm. Does this make sense?

I think they do increase.

I started out with just one in 15 mins of pumping. Now I'm at 3 or 4 in the same time. I had to go up a size shield. Here's a great article with pictures of how a shield should fit: http://lactinv.com/breastfeeding_qna..._breastshields