Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lack of Pooping at 3 & 4 weeks

Default Lack of Pooping at 3 & 4 weeks

My daughter is 4 weeks old today and the BF experience has not been going all that great. Issues abound (not latching, using nipple shield, she is painfully gassy) but she is gaining well and according to our pediatrician and public health nurses that see her - she is healthy.

My concern is that for the last week and a half she has only pooped an average of once every two days or so. And these poops are so scant - that I would hardly call them a bowel movement - especially since they come so infrequently. I long for the days that the BM is so huge that you have to change the outfit.

The issue started with the theory that she was getting to much foremilk and a yellow greenish, foamy stool all but confirmed that. I started to feed her from one side for a couple of feedings before switching sides.. and a couple of days later she had one *small* normal yellow seedy poop. Ever since then, I will see a small stain on her diaper every couple of days. My doc confirmed she wasn't constipated - but that was at the beginning of this ordeal and now a week ago. Her belly isn't overly hard and she still nurses fine (every 3 hours in the day, every 4 or 5 at night). I have to add that with the pains in her tummy she gets.. which she scrunches her legs up to her belly and sometimes toots.. but its hard to tell whether or not these are attempts to strain out a BM. But a few minutes (and toots) later all will be fine.

This just doesn't seem right to me. With my son he pooped every feeding, as did she for her first two weeks of life. Is it possible that her system is just using everything I put in to her this early on? I know that after a 4-6 weeks going days with out a poop is normal -but this started before three weeks.

I'd love to hear some advice - I am so glad there are forums like this out there.

Default Re: Lack of Pooping at 3 & 4 weeks

My son is doing the exact same thing. He is bf and is given a supplemental bottle (b/c he was a preemie) and he does not like to poop either. He seems to have gas bad, he will crunch up his legs and then toot like you would not believe. However, for the past week (he is now 3 weeks old) he has not pooped everyday. I spoke with the ped and he said as long as his stools are not hard when they come, then there is nothing to worry about. I don;t know I still worry, but as long as the dr says he is ok and his weight keeps going up, then I try not to stress. Good luck.

How frustrating to have all of those breastfeeding problems! Well done for persevering through them all -- it'll only get easier!

How's her weight gain? Babies younger than 6 weeks should be having 3-4 quarter sized bowel movements per day. Have you mentioned it to the ped?

my son is doing that same thing.. although when he does have a BM it's not hard and its a large BM thats greenish yellow, paste-y and seed-like.. then he wont have one for a couple of days again. Right now he's going on 3-4 days with out a BM. I'm trying some home remedies with him to see if they will work in get him to have a BM. If you want I'll give you some of them and see if they will help out.

In the first months my DD was gassy. She still only goes about every two to three days. That is normal as long as s/he is peeing the 6-8 wet diapers. Try a warm soothing bath soak to get things moving. And also try bicycling the legs.That will help with the gas and the bms. Are you still eating Dairy. My DD ended up being sensitive to that and once I stopped, she stopped having bad gas. Good luck.

My daughter did that too, only pooping every 3 days or more. She is now 3 mo old and still only goes every 3-5 days. It is normal for some bf babies to only go poo once a week. Their little bodies are just able to use up all of the nutrients in mommies milk. Just hang in there and see what your babies "normal" poo pattern will be. I know it is frustrating, but things usually work out in their own time I worried a lot about it when Katie was that age. Now, all is fine, so happens she is just not a frequent pooer.

I was going to post about this today as well. My DD is 3 weeks today and has only had one decent BM in the past two days. I was concerned about her milk intake, but her wet diapers are fine and I know I am producing enough for her. Sometimes when she unlatches she has milk coming out of her mouth or on her face.

It's comforting to know that other babies around my DD's age are also having intermittent BM's.

Thanks for all the advice. It is very comforting to know that other babies are on the same schedule at the same age. I am happy to report that DD has had a massive BM yesterday. She was like a different baby for a day. But back to being gassy and fussy today. I can't help but think she'd be a happier more comfortable little girl if she was more regular.

I am going to try cutting dairy to see what that does for her gassiness, if anything. I am a big milk fan and I drink a fair bit, so if it is dairy that is upsetting her tummy I should see a big difference. How long does it take before a difference is seen in baby?? On the same note - I drink 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning and I am sure that isn't the best but it is almost essential for me to get through the day with a fussy month old baby and a very active three year old (who decided to stop napping recently). But if someone tells me cutting caffine out of their diet helped LO's tummy, then no more coffee for me.

I am not sure if the coffee causes gas for baby, but just cutting back on my milk intake helped my babe with her gas. Give it a try.

Once they get to three or four weeks they don't poop as much. As long as the poops are not hard or dry then you don't have to worry. See breastmilk doesn't have any waste in it. But it also has properties that don't cause the baby to be constipated. Isn't breastmilk grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!LOL
    Angela