Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Foul-smelling gas and stools

Default Foul-smelling gas and stools

My 8 weeks old has been passing really foul smelling gas and stools for the last week or so. The stools are also very liquid (like water) instead of curdly. But they're not particularly frequent and they're mustard yellow as usual. Is this normal? Should he see a doctor? The only changes in our lives that I can think of is that he's been taking an antacid for his GER, and I've been eating a lot of whole wheat bread.

Default Re: Foul-smelling gas and stools

i might be wrong... but isn't foul smell associated with diarrhea? Ladies?
    Proud Mommy to my little Amelia (5-18-2011)

Sometimes also rotavirus. Any other symptoms?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Foul-smelling poops can also be attributed to a sensitivity to a particular food. But generally there are other symptoms - rash, fussiness, spitting up, possibly blood in the stool, etc.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

I was having the same problem, and it turned to be a sensitivity to the dairy in my diet.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kaitlyns.mom View Post
    Foul-smelling poops can also be attributed to a sensitivity to a particular food. But generally there are other symptoms - rash, fussiness, spitting up, possibly blood in the stool, etc.
    He's been quite fussy and gassy and has had GER since he was 3 weeks (but the foul smell is something new). He spits up curdled mild fairly often.

When my daughter was 3 months I cut out dairy because her poop consistently did not smell good, and I knew that wasn't the norm for BF poop. Within a couple of weeks of being dairy-free the foul odor went away and she spit up less. Something to consider if the odor continues and there isn't a virus involved.
    Karen

Proud mama to
    Kaitlyn Ann 12/23/07 - 7 lbs., 15 oz.
    11/09
    Jackson Thomas 1/16/11 - 9 lbs., 3 oz.

As an update, I took my baby to the doctor, who said the problem was most likely the consequence of the course of amoxicillin I took three weeks ago which wrecked his gut flora, and that it would pass by itself.
    I'm aggravated! Amoxicillin is supposed to be safe for nursing women. I wouldn't call a substance that causes a 2+ weeks diarrhea in an infant safe!
    Last edited by @llli*goinggoinggone; June 28th, 2011 at 12:54 PM.