Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost! Help!

Question Lost! Help!

I am a new mom, my son was born 9 days ago and I am struggling with breastfeeding. I should start by saying I was induced at 38 weeks and ended up in labor for 24 hours before having to have a c-section. While still in the hospital my little one was started on formula since he was hungry and my milk was not in yet. I am pumping every 2-3 hours and getting less than an ounce each time. I am not sure what to do to increase my output especially since my son gets frustrated and will not latch Any advice would be helpful! Also I have hypothyroidism and did not know if that means that I will have a low milk supply.

Default Re: Lost! Help!

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope that it helps to know that you're not alone in experiencing difficulty and needing help. Can you find an IBCLC for hands-on help, or do you have a local LLL leader?

I found TONS of help from www.drjacknewman.com and his book The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers. I'll put in a few direct links to things from his page that might be informative.

When my LOs got too hungry, I had no success trying to breastfeed. When I could get them calm with expressed breastmilk, we had more success. Dr. Newman recommends a lactation aid; I used Medela's SNS (supplemental nursing system), a little tube attached to a bottle that allows supplemental milk to flow right beside that nipple. Using that at the breast and finger feeding were really helpful to me in getting my second to latch.

An IBCLC was my useful source for getting supplies and hands-on help.

http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

Dr. Newman's language is strong, but his materials were a great resource for me to learn.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

The best thing for latch problems is hands-on help from your local LLL leader, or an IBCLC. And the best thing for supply problems is getting that baby to the breast! Definitely get some help!

At nine days, your supply is just getting established. If you can't nurse, you should pump every 2 hours, and at first you may not see much. But you're sending that message to your breasts that your baby wants more milk. I agree that if you could get your baby to latch on, even half-heartedly, the SNS could be a great option for you. But this is something you'll probably want to get help with - a bad latch can just rip up your nipples, and that's the last thing you need right now!

Many, many of us had a very hard time in the beginning. It feels overwhelming, but look at us, we all made it through that, and nursed our babies for a long time. So first things first: TAKE HEART. You can do this! But get some help and support!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Hi and congrats on the baby! Hope you are feeling well.

I think one of the hardest aspects of learning how to BF for a lot of women is wondering if you are producing enough milk. You can only measure this with how many diapers. My milk didn't come in for 5 days but remember they are getting what they need from the colostrum. Trust your body.

Are you nursing at all? couldnt tell from the post. You said he will not latch...here is a site that may help:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

So are you pumping to give bottles? Are you giving formula? In order to move away from bottles if that is what you are doing this can be helpful:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    My lo gained wait a little slowly in the first week so I read the Womanly art of Breastfeeding (new edition)

and watched these videos:http://www.drjacknewman.com/video-clips.asp

and read through this website: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html

Keep us posted. You can do this.

Question Re: Lost! Help!

Thank you all!
    I am using formula right now and then collecting all of my breast milk until I have about 2 ounces and then doing a feeding of breast milk. I was trying to give him the .5 ounce each time but he seems to do better with the larger feeding. He is eating about 3 oz each feeding already and I am only producing .5 oz each pumping. I am also attaching him to my breast each feeding of his but he will only tolerate it for a few minutes and then he gets really upset and wont latch anymore. It is like he is hungry and I am not giving him enough to keep him trying. He hurts something terrible when he does latch so I am really wondering if I am doing something wrong. I just looked up the closest meeting and leaders but how does this work? Do I just call them?

yes just call

When I called with my first son I just explained that I had questions about BF. I had to leave a message on a machine a few times and I just said the same thing. It really is great to know you can reach out like that and get help.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmom6811 View Post
    Thank you all!
    I am using formula right now and then collecting all of my breast milk until I have about 2 ounces and then doing a feeding of breast milk. I was trying to give him the .5 ounce each time but he seems to do better with the larger feeding. He is eating about 3 oz each feeding already and I am only producing .5 oz each pumping. I am also attaching him to my breast each feeding of his but he will only tolerate it for a few minutes and then he gets really upset and wont latch anymore. It is like he is hungry and I am not giving him enough to keep him trying. He hurts something terrible when he does latch so I am really wondering if I am doing something wrong. I just looked up the closest meeting and leaders but how does this work? Do I just call them?
    A lot of babies will eat a lot more than they truly "need." It's really easy to overfeed a newborn with a bottle - they're just chugging because they're afraid that if they stop, they'll choke! So definitely take it easy on the feedings. I would do an ounce at a time, but more frequently, maybe. How is his diaper output?

The sooner you can get him latched on, the easier time you'll have weaning him off the formula supplements. Can you find an IBCLC in your area? It costs some money, but not as much as a year or more of formula.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Just wanted to add that the amount you pump isn't indicative of how much your LO would get when nursing. Also, pumping output can be affected by pump quality, flange size, and time of day. Even with 'ideal' equipment, I had very low pump-output at first (about .5 oz altogether from both breasts), but it increased so that by week 5 I could sometimes get 3oz total in a session.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*newmom6811 View Post
    Thank you all!

Mama, you're doing a great thing trying to BF your LO as much as possible. I'm so sorry to hear your having issues. 'd say just call a leader. They may be able to help you over the phone, or if not may have time to meet with you. Like some PP's said, the sooner you can get your LO to the breast the quicker things will get a bit better.
    To answer the question on hypothyriodism. I have it and havn't had an issue with supply, but I know it can be an issue. I'd suggest getting your levels tested. My Dr has been watching mine and adjusting meds as needed. You may need a med adjustment, or maybe your just not getting as much from pumping as you would from nursing. If you can get the latch worked out and check your thyroid, it may help a lot!

No information, just
    Wife to DH February 17, 2004.
    First time mom to my precious baby girl, welcomed to this world August 3, 2009!
    Birth: 6 lbs. 6 oz. and 18.5"
    6 months: 14 lbs. 14.5 oz. and 26"
    1 year: 20 lbs. and 30"

Woohoo! We made it one year!

Learn more about us at my blog.