Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: About to give up

Default Re: About to give up

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*rdh2378 View Post
    I work full-time so banning bottles isn't an option, but I have been EBF'ng in evenings and on weekends. She had a disorganized suck/swallow pattern in the NICU, but the LC I've been seeing hasn't said anything about it. She clicks a lot (comes of and one the breast), but she's not worried about that either. I just need to have more faith an trust I guess.
    Actually, you dno't HAVE to use a bottle to feed a baby. A baby can use a cup, syringe or other method. A bottle is just easier.

On the weekends, DO NOT GIVE A BOTTLE. We used to only do bottles at the babysitter's. When I was off, baby went everywhere I went, and I nursed.

The other thing....if you have any time off, take it, go to bed and take a nursing vacation to "reset the system," so to speak.

Clicking also makes me think of a tongue tie. And even a cleft palate (submucosal in your case, which can't be seen on casual observation). My fourth baby had a weird click, and that's one thing that clued me in that there was something wrong.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I was told she doesn't have tounge tie, and LC thinks the clicking is her adaption to my fast let down and strong milk eject reflex. I am still a nervous wreck most of the time but have been allowing her to sort of space out her feeds more. I am still going to go back and see the LC again, probably tonight. I am convinced she's not getting enough from me. She finally had a very large lime-green/yellowish poop early this morning, but it had blobs of brownish mucus in it.

You could ask about block feeding, which is usually used to handle OS, but you could adapt something like it to ensure your baby gets more hindmilk, which might take care of the greenish poop. What I used to do was start the next feeding on the breast I last finished on.

When you pump, are you mixing your bottles at night before making up bottles to feed? If not, please start doing so. It helps even out the milk fat among the bottles and can fix the stools.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Angry Re: About to give up

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    You could ask about block feeding, which is usually used to handle OS, but you could adapt something like it to ensure your baby gets more hindmilk, which might take care of the greenish poop. What I used to do was start the next feeding on the breast I last finished on.

When you pump, are you mixing your bottles at night before making up bottles to feed? If not, please start doing so. It helps even out the milk fat among the bottles and can fix the stools.
    Ok, so the Dr. said on Sunday that I could let her go 7 hours without feeding her, and she could "handle it". But I can't. I keep waking her up and trying to feed her. The women at the LLL meeting keep telling me that she seems to be transferring milk well and that if ped. said she's ok & gaining wt, I shouldn't worry, BUT... as I said before, I went to see an LC several times and once when it seemed like she was eating well, she only got 50 (13 in 5 min & 40+ in 5 more min), about 2-3 weeks ago. Last week, she was able to get 100 in 10 minutes (5 & 5). I do EBF'G on weekends and at night and DD gets only 3-4 bottles daily of about 100ML. I do have daycare and DH mix bottles before offering, and her stool was more consistently yellowish and curdy last week. She then only had about 2 medium to large stools and they are more pea green colored, and seem to have brownish blobs of mucus. I asked the daycare today to not let her go more than 3 hours w/o offering a bottle, but to try not to offer her one too close to 5PM when I pick her up. Yestrday they translated that to mean let her sleep from 1:15pm to 5PM and only gave her 2 bottles. I know that so many moms go through things like this, but I am really, really struggling. I guess it's because I am home alone with her so much and I see things that others don't. I have been trying to go out with her more and feel like I am getting better, but each day is different. She seems like a normal, happy baby sometimes, and other times, she just seems sooooo "off". I never knew how difficult motherhood could be, and it gives me a whole new level of respect for my mom.

I pray that I am doing right by my DD and that she's still gaining weight. I have a baby scale at home and planned to weigh her before her bath last night, but she wanted to eat for like an hour at 6:30pm and then at 9PM only wanted a little nursing time and then zonked out until 1AM. I think I definitely need to go back and see the LC tonight b/c I am almost 100% sure she's not latching sufficiently enough to be getting adequate hindmilk from me when she's only nursing for about 5 minutes on one side only.

If you have an oversupply and a fast letdown, there's a good chance that your baby can get more than enough milk in 5 minutes. Really! I know it's hard to believe when you hear about babies nursing for 30, 40, even 60 minutes at a time, but some babies get all they need in a very short timespan. With my first baby, I had low supply issues caused by a very bad latch. She took up to an hour to nurse. With my second baby, I had oversupply problems, and she took only around 5 minutes to nurse from her first week or so of life onwards. If you're drinking from a fire hose, you fill up in a hurry!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The low number of stools is NOT something you need to be concerned about. Breastfed babies can poop everytime they eat, or not at all for a week. Both are 100% normal (often they'll do one for a while and then switch). ALL YOU NEED TO WATCH is wets. Seriously. Now, the greeness of the stools is probably caused by your OALD, but that absolutely does NOT mean your baby is not getting enough to eat. I had OALD, foamy green poops for ... er ... months? And my baby put on the pounds no problem. The OALD can cause fussiness, but it doesn't cause FTT. So while you may want to address the OALD, I want you to try to separate that from your weight gain worries.

Just to repeat what you've heard from your LLL buddies: If your baby is gaining weight, and the doctor is not concerned, you probably needn't worry. I get that you will worry anyway, of course. But in fact, they are right. Sounds like you're doing everything right, and I hope, as the the weeks pass and you see that weight gain, you can relax a little.

ETA: You can keep waking up your baby to nurse if that is helping you feel better. Honestly, I couldn't let my baby sleep 7 hours at that age even if he had wanted to (but he didn't!), because I would have gotten engorged. Anyway, given your level of concern, I would keep waking the baby up, not because she needs it, but because you need reassurance. When you feel reassured that all is well and things are working properly, you will be able to let your baby sleep as long as she wants, but I think that's going to take a little more time.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; June 23rd, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Attachment 0 Wanted to post a picture of my DD

Aww, what a sweety-pie! I don't see a scrawny unhealthy baby here. I see chubby cheeks, bright eyes, and what look like the beginnings of rolls on her arms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Aww, what a sweety-pie! I don't see a scrawny unhealthy baby here. I see chubby cheeks, bright eyes, and what look like the beginnings of rolls on her arms.
    I agree!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn