Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby is Bottle weaning (I think?)

Default Baby is Bottle weaning (I think?)

Well my LO was regularly drinking 4 5 oz bottles, and then down to 3 5 oz bottles and then down to 3 4oz bottles, and now today the sitter reports he's only had one 5oz bottle. He's happy to drink water and eat solids.

Is this bottle weaning? He's also not interested in milk in any other container-sippy-straw.

He's days from 11 mos. He still nurses 1-2 times before bed, and then 3-4 times at night and then once in the morning.

Do I need to be overly concerned about the solids I am sending? We do BLW and up to this point I'd send him with whatever we had the night before for lunch, and then breakfast stuff and fruit. I didn't worry too much because he was still getting milk during the day, but now I want to make sure I'm giving him the right stuff if he's just going to be having water.

Nutritionally paranoid,
    C
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

Default Re: Baby is Bottle weaning (I think?)

Have you tried yogurt?

I wonder if the bottle is hurting his mouth. Does he drink anything else out of the bottle? Do you think it's your pumped milk or the bottle itself he is rejecting?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Sounds like your LO is doing fine. Its not always easy to predict what our growing babies are going to do next, but your LO likes to eat solid foods and you are offering him all the foods he likes. meats are great foods to offer b/c they pack more nutrients per calorie than most "baby foods".
    Started my family in 1986
    Finally done in 2001

It could just be a short-lived phase because of distractibility or teething or whatever.

Disclosure: Joe still loves his bottle, and he's 28 months! So I don't have much experience with bottle weaning. We've been trying to switch him to a sippy for, uh, years.

I would offer more dairy products, given that he isn't getting as much BM. Yogurt is a great idea. And water to keep him hydrated. I would otherwise not worry too much about it, if he's nursing plenty when you are together.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

oh yes, he's got an allergy to dairy, and seems to get the farts from too many whole grains. He does like meats, and pretty much everything else. Even swiss chard! Soy yogurt is a hit, or almond too. I was going to look into chia seeds for the omega-3s.

Nothing but milk in the bottles. It seems like he's rejecting pumped milk I guess. Nothing strange in my diet that I can think of, except maybe a multi.

Is nursing better than usual. Seems happy to nurse which, has been a long time since that happened, like before the distractable stage. lol
    Carmen-Noel mum to James born naturally 8/28/2010.
    Mommy's little pumpkin head

We love our amber necklace from @llli*expat-mum. PM her for the most beautiful effective teething aide we've found!

How is he with a spoon? You said you're doing BLS, but you could make him some things you could mix your milk into if you wanted to.

Lilah was actually, finally starting to like the bottle when we yanked it at 14 months. I wasn't pumping anymore and I am uncomfortable with my girls getting anything other than MY milk from a bottle.

But - they are both cup savvy, so I hear you on that JoMo!
    Tracie

Mommy to

Hmmm... have you checked your milk for lipase recently? That can start at any time.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I did stop sending bottles with my LOs around 11 months when they were at the sitter's, sent foods and had the sitter offer water in cups, and just nursed when we were home together. Of course, I only work PT, so I didn't have to wonder how much nutrition they were still getting from me, but at 11 months...I don't know if I would sweat it if baby is nursing well in the nights, evenings and weekends. It's not like their first birthday is a magic number, kwim.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!