Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long did it take you to dry up completely after weaning?

Default How long did it take you to dry up completely after weaning?

DS was weaned abruptly rather than gradually. For the first couple days, I got really engorged and was hand-expressing into the sink a couple times a day-- just enough to not be uncomfortable anymore.

Then I went to being able to go about every other day hand-expressing for the next few days.

Now it's been eight days since last I nursed. I'm still producing a lot of milk, it seems. I'm not engorged, but my breasts are tender, and I leak.

How much longer should it take for me to dry up?
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Default Re: How long did it take you to dry up completely after weaning?

It took me several months. When I tried to pump 9 months later I still got drops.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I think it really varies from person to person.. I never really dried up between DD2 and DS and DS has been weaned since March and I am still packing..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

[sarcasm]Thanks for the encouraging remarks...[/sarcasm]

~Sylvia~

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

My oldest weaned abruptly and I think it took about 3 weeks for me to get through the discomfort and leaking and lumpiness.

Which is not quite the same as drying up. A lot of mothers can express a few drops of milk for YEARS after weaning. But you normally don't notice it unless you're checking.

Abrupt weaning also means sudden shifts in hormone levels and can cause odd symptoms that you might not immediately attribute to weaning. Emotional ups and downs, possibly. For me it was heart palpitations. Just something to consider if you notice anything unusual.
    Last edited by @llli*LLLKaren; June 17th, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post
    My oldest weaned abruptly and I think it took about 3 weeks for me to get through the discomfort and leaking and lumpiness.

Which is not quite the same as drying up. A lot of mothers can express a few drops of milk for YEARS after weaning. But you normally don't notice it unless you're checking.

Abrupt weaning also means sudden shifts in hormone levels and can cause odd symptoms that you might not immediately attribute to weaning. Emotional ups and downs, possibly. For me it was heart palpitations.
    I got really emotionally fragile (maybe partly the circumstances involved) and had my first case of mastitis. The serious discomfort passed in about 3 weeks though. From then on it was occasional lumps, tenderness and leaking.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLKaren View Post

Abrupt weaning also means sudden shifts in hormone levels and can cause odd symptoms that you might not immediately attribute to weaning. Emotional ups and downs, possibly. For me it was heart palpitations. Just something to consider if you notice anything unusual.
    Thank you for pointing that out, Karen. So, could be a few more weeks before I feel "normal" again. I guess I can deal with that.
    ~Sylvia~

Daughter of God

right after Wade weaned I was a emotional mess and it really took me a few weeks to feel normal again..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avery.mom View Post
    right after Wade weaned I was a emotional mess and it really took me a few weeks to feel normal again..
    Happily, I feel normal enough emotionally. It just really hurts when my toddler presses down on my chest...
    ~Sylvia~

Daughter of God