Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breastfeeding awareness week

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Default breastfeeding awareness week

hi mamas,

i am involved in bfa in the uk and wondered if any mums would share their feedback on bf a toddler.

Just your thoughts on why you do it / what you love about it / the benefits of it, etc

i would lliek to use these as little quotations for our stand please

many thanks

diane x

Default Re: breastfeeding awareness week

Is it okay if USA mommies chime in?

My favorite thing about nursing a toddler was how it transitioned from being primarily about nutrition to being a mothering tool. Bumped head? Skinned knee? Teething? Cranky? Overtired? Nursing fixed every woe!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Is it okay if USA mommies chime in?

!
    absolutely!! That's what i would like please - all mummies together
    btw - totally agree with you! bf is a great mothering tool

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*expat-mum View Post
    We live abroad and travel quite a bit...by plane, train, bus, and boat. Breastfeeding gives my toddler toddler gets 3 things he wouldn't be able to get any other way while traveling: endless entertainment, ready-made meals that never run out, and immunological protection from the germs we encounter. This keeps me (relatively) relaxed and able to enjoy trips without overpacking toys and snacks or becoming paranoid about hygiene.

(I recently talked with another mom in the same situation, with a toddler exactly my baby's age who'd been weaned very early. The mom saw me nursing and asked, "So you're still breastfeeding?" We were fresh off the plane, so I blurted out, "YES!! And it totally saved our lives on the last long flight." She nodded sadly and told me that traveling used to be so, so much easier when she breastfed. She said, "Now flying is a nightmare. I completely understand why some mothers keep nursing toddlers." But what a hard way to come to that conclusion!)

what a wonderful response - thank you. a friend of mine feeds her toddler on the plane to stop his ears from popping!

My two-year-old runs me ragged. When she nurses is the only break I get all day.
    Mom to Jemma 5/20/2009 , my high needs baby

24 months and counting

We love to

and did a lot of

I am still nursing becuase I feel like he still needs it- physically and emotionally. And because I love the closeness that nursing gives us. My little guy is very energetic and spirited- I don't think I would get to snuggle with him hardly ever if it wasn't for nursing.
    Jessica

Moma to DS1-the monkinroanie (3/09) and DS2-the sweet pumpkin (5/12)
    Strong Women- May we have the delight of knowing them, the courage to be them and the privilege of raising them.
    And yes I know my spelling terrible (is that spelled right? )

thanks mamas!

hi, you are welcome to quote from my post, ten reasons to keep breastfeeding beyond one:
    http://mamamule.blogspot.com/2011/05...stfeeding.html
    and please do have a look at my photo gallery of breastfed toddlers!
    http://mamamule.blogspot.com/2011/06...llery-for.html
    i am also in the uk and trying to do my bit for BAW.
    all the best
    milli xxx
    Milli

with my beautiful girls Bess, aged 3, and Ursula, aged 1, since 8th January 2008

I blog about breastfeeding, evidence based parenting and life with children at:
    http://mamamule.blogspot.com

I just started nursing a toddler and didn't originally plan to go past one year, but how things change. I changed my mind because my son and I still really enjoy it. It is the only time I can get him to sit still and relax with me. Plus, it's still nutritionally excellent for him. I'm also planning on going back to work after a 14-month maternity leave, so breastfeeding will give us that connection that we've had all this time and help with the adjustment to our new normal.

thank you again mamas - I've enjoyed reading all your wonderful comments and will certainly continue to collate for next year too!!
    Hi Millie - where in the UK are you?