Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 weeks old and not sleeping alone

Default 3 weeks old and not sleeping alone

My little girl is slightly over three weeks old. I have breastfed her since her birth and I have ran into one major problem that we can't seem to solve ourselves. Our baby will not sleep in her own bed. She feeds sometimes more than twice in an hour. She is only happy if I am breastfeeding or allow her to sleep near my breast. Perhaps the smell of my milk soothes her. I would enjoy having her sleep in her crib and allowing us to sleep alone. How do I start the process of her sleeping alone. It seems as though I have tried almost anything. Any suggestions?

Default Re: 3 weeks old and not sleeping alone

This might now be helpful but when my LO was younger (she is 8 weeks this friday) she nursed ALL THE TIME and wanted to be held by me all the time . It felt like the only time I didnt have her was when I went to the bathroom and even then it wasnt in peace she was either crying on the bed or even if someone else was holding her! I posted on here and all these wonderful women gave me advice and told me it was normal and that it would pass. And I am pleased to say it did around 6 weeks it started to get better and now she sleeps in her own crib and we can take a ride in the car without her screaming bloody murder and she is content for a while without me holding/nursing her all the time and our nursing for hours on end and so frequesnt are becoming farther apart and she is becoming more efficient at eating! So all I can tell you from my experience is keep up the good work momma! and this to shall pass

sorry for all the typos on my phone and hate going back and fixing things
    Last edited by @llli*tarab; June 16th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.

Your daughter is acting like a very normal newborn. She knows the safest place she can be is next to her momma .
    Your time with her as an itty bitty newborn is so fleeting. Try to just enjoy the snuggles and close time together. As pp stated, this will pass eventually. Although, this may not be want to want to hear, it may last a bit longer than a few weeks. My DD is almost 11 months old, and I have finally started to succeed in getting her to sleep in her crib for a few hours each night. I can't believe how fast the time has flown by, and I know that before I know it she will be a teenager.
    Enjoy being with your daughter, and congratulations!

Do you feel like you need a few moments to yourself?

Also, have you read the "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding?" There is great information in there about the benefits of co-sleeping.

My son is 8 weeks old and has begun to take naps alone in his bed or my bed. Most of the time he falls asleep in a carrier - sometimes he gets annoyed and I take him out, placing him in his bed. At night he sleeps part of the evening in his bed (in our room) and with me in the bed.

Your baby wants to be with you all the time; this is normal and healthy. Take a moment to yourself if you need it (which is also normal and healthy too!)
    Last edited by @llli*bumble.bee; June 17th, 2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: want to add something

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    Your daughter is acting like a very normal newborn. She knows the safest place she can be is next to her momma .
    Your time with her as an itty bitty newborn is so fleeting. Try to just enjoy the snuggles and close time together. As pp stated, this will pass eventually. Although, this may not be want to want to hear, it may last a bit longer than a few weeks. My DD is almost 11 months old, and I have finally started to succeed in getting her to sleep in her crib for a few hours each night. I can't believe how fast the time has flown by, and I know that before I know it she will be a teenager.
    Enjoy being with your daughter, and congratulations!
    have you considered co sleeping at least part time? For me it's really the only way anyone sleeps. In general I find that my children will allow me to move them when they are really in a deep sleep. I wait longer than normal until they are breathing deeply. Then when I place them in the cosleeper (something you may want to check out...best of both worlds) I keep my hand and arem on them for a while until they are back to sleep.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Poor mama, it is rough! My sweetie is nine weeks now and sleeps all night in her bed in her room. The thing that seemed to help her most was using a swaddler. Wrapping her up tightly really comforted her and made her feel secure. Plus, she couldn't jump and jerk in her sleep as much, which helped her sleep longer and deeper. I don't know if you've tried one or not, but it was a life saver for me. :-)

I'll be honest. I hate co-sleeping. Even with my husband. I don't like to be touched and I like the blanket up over my head and wrapped around me with my body pillow between my knees. That being said, where does my 9 month old sleep? With me. Where did my daughter sleep? With me. It's not about me anymore. That was the hardest transition for me in becoming a mother. Sometimes I had to be uncomfortable to give my babies what they need. In this case it's comfort and security. Knowing mommy (read that boobie) is always there. So rather than struggle to get him to sleep, crying at 3AM because I'm exhausted but wide awake in the rocker next to his crib(my BFF did that for 3 years rather than let her daughter in her bed) I let him sleep in my bed. And I don't get a great sleep, but I get rest. And he feels secure. Don't get me wrong, he goes down in his crib when he's willing and I rejoice in those times. But when he needs to be with me he's welcome in my bed, even if it's begrudgingly. As is my 5 year old, although with her I can reason or at least bribe when that fails
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

do you have a bassinet you can place next to the bed or have you considered moving the crib next to your bed?
    babies are hardwired to want to be near someone, as a survival mechanism. if they are left alone, they can be eaten by predators! WELL not today in this world, but babies dont know that. hundreds of years ago this was a real possibility. all they know is that being near an adult is a safe place.
    have you tried babywearing during the day? that could help with her being held all the time, by nighttime my lo needs his own space and wants me to put him in his swing for awhile! i wear him in a ring sling all day. except when he is playing on his floor mat for tummy time. i hope this gets better and works out for everyone, even your new little one!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

I thought I wouldn't cosleep, and then we had our daughter... flash forward four weeks, and we have had the best sleep of her life when we let her in bed. It may not have been what we expected would happen, but she is just happier and sleeps deeper when she is curled up next to me.

I did some research, too... Dr.Sears has some interesting info about cosleeping and his observations of the cosleeping relationship between his children and his wife. I found it quite interesting.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sle...s-no-sometimes
    Proud Mommy to my little Amelia (5-18-2011)

3 weeks is very young to expect restful sleep alone. Our baby stayed in a crib other than nursing a few times at night until she was 6 weeks old and she tossed and turned. Then we brought her into bed with us and she just slept better, it was great for our nursing relationship too.

It was hard the first few nights because I was worried about her or rolling on her or pulling a blanket over her head but we minimized blankets in the bed and I had my arm around her. Now she sleeps with us and I am glad she does, I love the snuggle time and she feels very secure.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.