Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why does she do that?

Default Why does she do that?

Hi All,

DD2 is 2 1/2 weeks old. I don't remember DD1 doing this, but maybe she did and I've forgotten about it.

Lately, DD2 will be wide awake and want to nurse over and over again and spit up in between each session. For instance, she nursed for 40 minutes today and then spit up (not a huge amount) and then was rooting around and wanting to nurse again. I nursed her again, she spit up again, and then wanted to nurse again. I ended up giving her a pacifier, which I normally do not like doing, but I didn't want her to spit up again. She's done this the past couple of days.

Is there an explanation? Does she just want to suck and is getting too much milk in the process? Did I do the right thing?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Jen

Default Re: Why does she do that?

Sounds pretty normal to me. My daughter did that. Small babies just spit up. At least mine did.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

my LO does this too! shes 3 weeks tomorrow and from what i have read on here i am assuming growth spurt at this point... as for the spitting up, is she maybe taking in a lot of air when she eats and not burping? we notice our dd gets excited to eat and suck air a little in the beginning and if we dont burp her and keep her upright after feeds she burps up.
    Proud Mommy to my little Amelia (5-18-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    Sounds pretty normal to me. My daughter did that. Small babies just spit up. At least mine did.
    I remember wondering the same thing about my DD. My DS never spit up ever and then when DD came along she spit up all; the time and kept wanting to eat! Does she seem uncomfortable or in pain?
    I'm Colleen
    Mama to
    Silas born May 2009 ~ Nursed 18 mos, weaned during pregnancy, unweaned at 24 months, still nursing when he feels like it
    Lola born March 2011 ~ The Mary Lou Retton of toddler nursing
    Married to Brandon
    Using cloth on both bums

We hibernate together

If the spitting up is not causing your baby distress then it is a "laundry problem" not a medical problem. Sometimes it seems like they spit up everything they just ate, but that is rarely the case. However, if your baby wants to nurse ALL.THE.TIME and spits up and appears to be in discomfort or doesn't spit up and appears to be in discomfort, I understand that could be a sign of reflux - some babies nurse all the time to keep swallowing because it hurts them to STOP sucking. But you'd usually see a lot more signs of discomfort, not just rooting.

So keep an eye on it, but again, "happy spitting" is usually nothing to worry about.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

my LO does this too! shes 3 weeks tomorrow and from what i have read on here i am assuming growth spurt at this point... as for the spitting up, is she maybe taking in a lot of air when she eats and not burping? we notice our dd gets excited to eat and suck air a little in the beginning and if we dont burp her and keep her upright after feeds she burps up.
    I always try getting a burp out of her when she is done nursing, but she goes to sleep many times and doesn't burp. To be honest, even when she's awake she rarely burps. That could be part of the problem.

I remember wondering the same thing about my DD. My DS never spit up ever and then when DD came along she spit up all; the time and kept wanting to eat! Does she seem uncomfortable or in pain?
    No she doesn't seem uncomfortable or in pain.

If the spitting up is not causing your baby distress then it is a "laundry problem" not a medical problem. Sometimes it seems like they spit up everything they just ate, but that is rarely the case. However, if your baby wants to nurse ALL.THE.TIME and spits up and appears to be in discomfort or doesn't spit up and appears to be in discomfort, I understand that could be a sign of reflux - some babies nurse all the time to keep swallowing because it hurts them to STOP sucking. But you'd usually see a lot more signs of discomfort, not just rooting.

So keep an eye on it, but again, "happy spitting" is usually nothing to worry about.
    Sounds like it's a "laundry problem." I have a close friend that has a baby with reflux and we've compared notes...doesn't sound like that. At least...not yet.

Thanks everyone!

My daughter was a perfect nurser, and she would spit up every meal. My DS didn't do it and I knew it wasn't reflux as I researched that. Turned out she was sensitive to dairy in my diet. As soon as I stopped eating dairy (I switched to drinking goat milk) the spit up reduced dramatically. It may be what your darling is experiencing, a lot of babies are sensitive to cows' milk. Then again, it may just be a laundry problem!