Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clogged duct?

Unhappy clogged duct?

My LO has been nursing only 2 weeks now and I think I may have a clogged duct. 1/2 of my left breast is rock hard and I can not relieve the pressure. I can not nurse on that side right now because the nipple is too sore and the pain it to ad. I am pumping as much as possible and the rest of the breast empties out buy not hard half. What can I do to help it? I have tried heat - both in the shower and with a compress while pumping.

Any ideas?
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Default Re: clogged duct?

I had this problem too. My LC advised me to massage the area (I know it hurts, but it helps) while feeding and also while in the shower under hot water. Also, try to go bra-less and not have anything restricting against your breast (i.e. no tight shirts or bras). I'm sure you'll get some other great info from experienced breastfeeding moms, but maybe thiese things will help you too.

Massaging the breast DID work for me - just remember that although it may hurt while you're doing it, it will hopefully feel better after a few hours or so.

I second the pp...I had plugged ducts in the beginning and I had one just recently. Massaging is the best medicine in this case...and making sure to feed on that side. Pumping is great, but nursing is really best, because baby is way better at removing milk than the pump. I know it is painful...here is some more information on plugged ducts from the LLL website. Be sure to get as much rest as possible...the cleaning will wait! I hope that helps!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I can feel for you! Hang in there!

Have you read this information from KellyMom? (Milk blisters can be related to plugged ducts, and some of the treatment suggestions are similiar.)

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

I have had several plugged ducts, and above all else, the Epsom salt soaks worked well for me! Try one every few hours.

Best of luck!

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!

You should definitely talk to your OBGYN about the problem. Tell him/her whether you have any redness on the affected breast and whether you are experiencing any symptoms, like a fever or chills.

A few weeks ago I thought I had a similar problems with my right breast. At first I thought that it would go away if I massaged my breast but the problem was more serious - I had mastitis. Not only did I have severe breast hardness, I also had redness and, eventually, a fever of 103 (for four days)! My doctor put me on antibiotics for a week and told me that I had to keep nursing (so that I could drain the affected breast). After a week, everything was back to normal.

Question Re: clogged duct?

This may be a sleep deprived question but to "soak the breast in epson salt" does that mean to submerge it in the salt water or apply the salt water with a wash cloth as a compress? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

Thanks...
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Submerge it. One way to do that is to fill the bathroom sink and just lean over and dunk the breast for a few minutes.

I hope this clears up quickly for you and does not lead to mastitis. Keep an eye on your temp and how you are feeling overall. Keep us posted!

The easiest way I found to submerge the breast:

Fill a large mixing bowl with the epsom salt solution.
    Sit at a table or desk (in front of the computer even...!), and gently lean over into the bowl.
    You can even roll a towel into a ring, and lay it around the bowl, to catch any drips.

I could sit comfortably like this for plenty of time. This way your back doesn't hurt, and you can be sure to thoroughly soak the breast. It even allows you to massage the breast while it soaks.

Hope this helps! Let us know how you are doing!

Proud Mother of ThreePrecious Children

Calder Anwyn
    February 21, 2006
    Nursed Until 18 Months
    Ewan Walker
    May 31, 2008
    Nursed Until 15 Months
    Reed Bennett
    February 26, 2011
    Off to a beautiful start...!

I just wanted to update and see how you're doing. Did you try to soak your breast in the Epsom salts or did you try the massaging?

I had forgotten to mention in my prior post that my LC also advised me with my plugged duct to begin each feeding session on the sore breast. It cleared up for me within two days (between the frequent feedings & massage).

I hope you're feeling better!!

Smile Re: clogged duct?

Hi all, Thanks again for all of the advice. I did soak it in Epsom salt every couple of hours and finally this morning while massaging it in the shower with hot water it started to let down from the clogged ducts. What came out looked a little pasty like dried milk? Is this normal or should I be concerned. I have pumping and nursing non-stop today and everything is back to normal (except for a little tenderness from massaging too hard).
    Thanks again for all of the advice!!